Seachem Equilibrium & Potassium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via MSN to saint27 Send a message via Yahoo to saint27
Seachem Equilibrium & Potassium

Is it just me or is there a lot of Potassium in Seachem's Equilibrium? I did a quick calculation using the precentages found on the bottle and if I dose 1 Tbsp into my 20 galllon tank I am getting over 40 ppm of it.

Who wants to check my math.

"]

High Tech:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok, seriously, no one wants to chime in about this?

High Tech:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Extra K wont hurt anything. Do a 50-75% water change and you will be okay.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You are correct. It's mostly K2SO4.

If you want to raise gH use calcium chloride and Epsom Salts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 02:38 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your calculation is correct, but for precision you might want to work out the element K in K2O. (83% of K2O is K) But it is close (still around 40ppm K).
There is a good web site here that compute this too :
http://www.fishfriend.com/fertfriend.html

I normally reduce to 1/2 tsp per week after water change to keep GH at around 5~6 degree and I don't normally bother particularly the K level.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I never understood why you would want to put Chloride into your aquarium. I like using Equilibrium but I am thinking about trying Greg's Barr's GH booster because it seems to be cheaper. Does anyone know if the K levels are still that high. I guess it means I don't have to worry about my K levels in my tank since I am dose plenty right now.

P.S. I did the element break down also and realized that it really didn't make that much difference.

Thanks for the help everyone.

High Tech:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 11:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You are correct, Equilibrium contains a lot of potassium. It contains more sulfate than anything else, as the calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, and manganese it contains are all sulfate compounds.

It's generally thought that extra potassium or sulfate doesn't hurt anything, but I often wonder where one should draw the line... if 100 ppm potassium OK? How about 200? 300? 1000?

The general European and Asian school of thought is lower total dissolved solids (TDS) in the water column. I wanted to lower my water's TDS and eliminate extra chloride and sulfate while remineralizing my RO water.

I dose Flourish, Fresh Trace, Flourish Trace, Excel, Potassium, and Iron throughout the week (as per label).

After lots of testing and experience, I only reconstitute my RO water based on what needs to be added from last week's test results. I use:

- Calcium Carbonate
- Potassium Bicarbonate
- Ferric Nitrate
- Manganese Carbonate

My targets are 6 dGH and 5 dKH. I use a gram scale to weigh it. I adjust the measurements based on the previous week's test results.

I don't need to add magnesium because more than enough (more than I would like actually) is added through the Seachem products. (There have been some threads recently on various forums that magnesium levels greater than 10 ppm (41.18 ppm as CaCO3) cause problems with certain plants (for example, it stops rotalla wallichii from growing completely).)

I use a magnetic stirrer to stir the calcium carbonate for 1 hour before adding to the tank. I only add it when the CO2 is on, as the CO2 causes it to form calcium bicarbonate which is a soluble state. It takes about 1-2 hours to dissolve clear.

I don't test for iron or manganese; on a water change I always add the same amount, which is only a trace amount: .04 grams of Fe(NO3)39H2O, and .02 grams MnCO3. (I have a 42 gallon tank and change 15-16 gallons of water per week.)

I get my chemicals from a lab supplier.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode