Clarification for EI Help Please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (59/100%)
Clarification for EI Help Please

I am clear on EI in general and have started dosing this way dry since I started my tank 5 weeks ago, but I have more questions that are unclear...

1 What qty of CSM+B do I does DRY for my 90 gal. I do not want to make a stock solution and dose it, i din't see the point when everything else I dose is dry.

2. How much MG do I dose for EI...<epsom salts> I only see PLantex and/or flouish info, but what about MG. My KH and GH are around 3-4

3. As for dosing Chelated Fe, how much...again 90 gal well planted

5. Is dosing PO4 necessary since it is already way high in my water supply? I have it, but am not sure I should even dose it.

5. K2SO4...is it necessary to dose this and if so, how much? There is K salt in everything we already dose, so is this necessary?

6. I also have Flouish and Flourish Excel on top of my dry ferts...so i occasionally supplement these things just for added nutrition?

Sorry if this all sounds newby, but I want to get it all straight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
What a coincidence! Just last night I decided to start dosing CSM dry. I calculated that I need 1/16 tsp every other day in my 29 gallon tank, so if I am correct, you need 3/16 tsp in your 90 gallon tank - what the heck - round it off to 1/4 tsp not quite leveled off.

I think the consensus position here is that there is no need to dose K2SO4, unless you can identify a potassium deficiency, which isn't very likely. PO4 is another story. It is used up by the plants, so unless your tap water contains enough for a couple of week's growth, and you change water every week, you should still dose it. It shouldn't do any harm even if you don't need it.

Hoppy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Any other thoughts??? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
Hoppy has it all right...follow his advice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

..................word
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

ok what about these questions....

I also have Flouish and Flourish Excel on top of my dry ferts...so i occasionally supplement these things just for added nutrition

How much MG do I dose for EI...<epsom salts> I only see PLantex and/or flouish info, but what about MG. My KH and GH are around 3-4

As for dosing Chelated Fe, how much...again 90 gal well planted
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

as for Hoppy...he is always to the rescue...Hoppy=Knight in shining armour....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
My thoughts on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_newby
1 What qty of CSM+B do I does DRY for my 90 gal. I do not want to make a stock solution and dose it, i din't see the point when everything else I dose is dry.
The reason we mix CSM is because the quatities to dose dry are pretty small and mixing it makes that easier. In a 90, the dose size can be a bit easier, so dosing dry...sure. But with all dry ferts, I'd still swirl it around in a dixie cup with some tank water to dissolve it...but it isn't required...just something I do.

Quote:
2. How much MG do I dose for EI...<epsom salts> I only see PLantex and/or flouish info, but what about MG. My KH and GH are around 3-4
With that KH and GH, and not knowing your pH after your water outgasses it is a bit tricky, but I've been of the "a little bit more isn't going to hurt" school when it comes to this, so I personally use SeaChem Equilibrium and a bit of Baking soda, but my KH is around 2 and GH is near there as well.

Quote:
3. As for dosing Chelated Fe, how much...again 90 gal well planted
2 or 3 times a month maybe...more if you notice a specific defiency that is caused by a lack of iron. How much...VERY little... < 1/2 teaspoon should be plenty I think...

Quote:
5. Is dosing PO4 necessary since it is already way high in my water supply? I have it, but am not sure I should even dose it.
Depends on how much is in your water, but a slight excess isn't going to bust out algae...
Are you dosing with KH2PO4 or K2SO4? I seem to do well with a higher ratio of PO4 to NO3...about 7/25...

Quote:
5. K2SO4...is it necessary to dose this and if so, how much? There is K salt in everything we already dose, so is this necessary?
See above...but I would say getting a high enough K can take a bit more, and without adding more PO4, adding the K2SO4 seperately might help in that regard.

Quote:
6. I also have Flouish and Flourish Excel on top of my dry ferts...so i occasionally supplement these things just for added nutrition?
Flourish...you could alternate that in with the CSM...both are Micros...and you might find that some prefer Tropica Master Grow for Micros...call me odd, but I use them all in various rotations...haven't added Kent's to the mix yet...

Flourish Excel...if you don't have CO2, add it...if you need a quick spot treatment for algae, this can sometimes work, but you shouldn't need it in a pressurized co2 enriched tank.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Jhoetzl
Thanks a lot!!!! That was incredibly helpful.
Thanks a lot Hoppy et al. I think this helps clear up a lot.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode