Mixing a macro dosing solution -- few questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Mixing a macro dosing solution -- few questions

Hi all. Up until now, I've only used a solution for the micro ferts (CSM+B extra iron), but I want to start dosing everything that way, as its much more convenient. I have the following dry ferts from greg watson:

K2So4
KNo3
KH2Po4
I also have epsom salt, for Mg.

I was trying to figure out quantities of each chemical to add with Chuck's calculator, in order to get the desired ppm, but I'm wondering whether my calculations are correct.
I'm using a 500mL bottle and what I did was I filled the bottle up and started adding ferts, but to cut down the # of tsp's it was asking me to add, by increasing my dosage amount to 5mL(works out the same in the end) and ths is what it said to add:

**KN03 -- 11 tsp (to get 0.99ppm Nitrate / mL). Target = 5ppm, but I'm adding 5 mL of this, so we'll get about 5ppm(N).
**KH2Po4 -- 2.50 tsp (to get 0.22ppm Phosphate / mL). Target = 1ppm)
**K2So4 -- This one I was a little confused about. I should probably calculate how much K i'm getting from each of these three chemicals I'm adding, instead of just this one. I'll probably end up adding just a smidge of the actual K2So4.....right? Or am I overlooking something?
**Epsom Salt (Mg) -- I tossed in about 1 1/2 tsp's...so do you think I should add more? My tap water seems to waver between 4-5 dKh/Gh.

I don't want to overdose, but I also don't want deficiencies, so I still have dry chemicals on hand in case I need to add a little more of something. Keep in mind that I have mostly high light stem plants right now, aside from glosso, elatine trianda, l. cardinalis and dwarf sag...the tank is also very high light (5.5 wpg), but I keep the Co2 cranked to keep the ph around 6.4-6.5 (~5 dkh). I'm pretty sure that the water out of the tap has 5 ppm, but this tank eats a lot of nitrates, so should I add even more tsp's of KNo3? As for the Phosphate, should I add a little more of that too? I've usually kept Po4 around 2ppm, even 3ish sometimes. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
-Ryan

-------------------

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Listen to the voice.

Dose dry...Dose dry....Dose dry.

Trying to make a solution for K2SO4 is a non-starter. Unless you like adding LOTS of ml of the solution.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

No solutions for the time-challenged, or lazy folks?
Seriously, It's 500mL. I was planning on addking 5mL, but if you think I should add more, that's fine. 500 mL is a lot. If I only had to mix up a solution every couple weeks, that's better than measuring up tsp's of ferts before I leave for work, usually while burning breakfast..

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
If you have a dosing regime at the moment why not make it simple. Say you would like to use a 10ml dose everytime you dose macros. 500 ml would give you 50 doses. 50 multiplied by your daily macro regime would be added to the 500ml of water correct?

Its just a thought.

Might be easier to figure a liquid E.I. dose rather than target a smaller more specific dose via fert calculator.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
You can add the epsom salt to the micro solution.

Out of the other three, I would make a phosphate solution, separate from anything else, and the rest of the stuff just dose dry. The nitrates I would probably mix with some tank water before adding, but the potassium would just go in straight dry.

I think mixing an all-in-one macro solution to make things easier would just make things harder.

"Good judgment is the result of experience, experience is the result of bad judgment." --Mark Twain
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, that's how I was making my calculations, riverrat. I based everything on doing 5mL doses, so the amounts that I added were based on 5mL giving enough ppm of the fert in question.
Thanks for the reminder of puttign the epsom salt in the micro, jake. I remember now that I used to do that way back when. I was also planning on keeping the dry ferts on hand, so I'm not locked into just dosng solution, but if you think it will make things harder I'll keep up how I'm doing it now (dry). Ok, maybe I'll try making that 500mL bottle just for phosphate and spooning the K and N directly. I could probably live with that. Just trying to make things easier.

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I agree, do the Phosphate solution (maybe not 500ml, why not start with less, maybe 100ml) and dose the other 2 dry. If you are one of the frequent dosers you could make a few batches at a time for making things quicker.

Or look into autodosing.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I would use a smaller bottle, but the 500mL was just what I had on hand (used water bottle). I have a 250 mL bottle, but its being used for micros. Autodosing is probably out of the question right now because of cost. I'll mix up Po4 solution, which is how I used to dose it until I ran out of Fleet enema and ended up buying the dry mix.

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 07:39 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use the pmdd pre-mix and dry dose. works great for me you can do the same but may have to dose NPK seperatly depending on your nutrient needs. you can order them premix or seperate.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
alternate idea

If you have concerns about measuring when you’re short on time, and know how much you want to dose dry, here’s an idea:

Get 7 empty water bottles, label them Mon.-Sun. Once a week, add your dry doses to the empty bottles.
Every morning, grab the correct bottle, add water, shake vigorously, and dose.

You may want 2 for your water change day to keep you micros seperate from your macros.

HTH

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode