Hard Water Woes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Hard Water Woes

I have extremely hard H2O. 18 KH and 19 GH, 8.3 pH after letting it set out for 24 hours. While it's nice for some things like blasting the CO2 or keeping rift lake fish, I want to try a Tonina tank. All the conventional wisdom I've come across says Tonina species wont do well in water this hard. To be honest, my B. japonica is barely hanging on as well in this liquid calcium we call water here in the mountains.

Does anyone have any success with Tonina species in hard water?

While I hate the thought of it, I could use r/o and mix with my tap or add minerals back to it. I'm sure some of you are doing this..any tips or warnings for me before I start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
If you want a Tonina tank, build a smaller tank for it, as hard as your water is, you would need to cut the RO with tap 80/20 or 90/10.
No need to add a bunch of crap back to it either. Just the usual KN03, P04, Trace, C02.
If you have a KH/10, cutting it 50/50 with RO would give you a KH/5, that's how it works, it does not work that way for pH.

So for the Tonina, they very much like at the most a KH/5 to have any glory, and then, you will need to know what you are doing with the light's/fert's/C02, dont add any fish, maybe some cherrie shrimp to start out with, use pure RO if you want, just learn the plant's, they do like a low KH.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I was considering a 20 long or 29 as I already have a nifty home-built 30" t-5 HO fixture, so not exactly small, but not big by any means. The only animals in it would be snails who snuck past the dip/inspection.

Thanks for the info on the hardness/RO mixing. I've only ever used it straight for a reef tank, so I would have burned through a test kit to determine the correct % to mix. At ~ 20 drops per test the kits don't last long

Thanks again for the info!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Right on, be sure to add you some Peat before laying the substrate, most every plant benefits with addition of peat, including/especially Tonina, Eriocaulon etc.
Heck even moss and fern's grow better with peat.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode