Iron - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Iron

Hi.

I need to know how much Iron do I have to have in a 100 gal.tank.
Thank you.
Ken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
What do you have to dose, Flourish or what. You want around .1ppm of iron in your tank. We need some info about your tank to help you. Light, amount of plants, CO2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OK,this is the story,I have been dosing PMDD for a few years now but recently I upgraded my DIY co2 to a pressurized system,the 100 gal.tank is heavily planted.
KH 7d
GH 12 d
PH 7.0
po4/3 5ppm
NO3 20ppm
co2 30ppm,lighting:2.5 WPG
I just bought an Iron test kit by SEACHEM ,followed the instruction and got0.05 mg/L .I have a few red plants(roseafolia) which as you know need alot of light and ferts.PMDD"s trace elements have some chelated iron but I don't know if its enough.the roseafolia's top leaves are red but the bottom leaves are greenish ,and I am not sure if is the lack of iron that causes that.the rest of the plants are fine.I just don't know if I have too much or too little or just enough iron?
I welcome and appreciate any reply.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
It isn't iron that causes red leaves. Generally those plants that produce red leaves do so with high light intensity and good, complete fertilizing. I think you should try to measure your CO2 level by taking a tank sample, degassing it for several hours, measuring the PH of that sample and comparing it to the tank PH. If the difference is 0.7, you have 15-20 ppm, if it is 1.0 you have 30-40 ppm, and if it is 1.3 you have 60-80 ppm. So, a 1.0 difference should be the goal.

Hoppy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Hoppy]It isn't iron that causes red leaves. Generally those plants that produce red leaves do so with high light intensity and good, complete fertilizing. I think you should try to measure your CO2 level by taking a tank sample, degassing it for several hours, measuring the PH of that sample and comparing it to the tank PH. If the difference is 0.7, you have 15-20 ppm, if it is 1.0 you have 30-40 ppm, and if it is 1.3 you have 60-80 ppm. So, a 1.0 difference should be the goal.[/QUOTE

I did ,and the degassed sample had a ph of 8.1 compare to the tank's ph of 7.0 so with the difference of 1.1 I am getting over 30ppm.The red plants do get a lot of light,so may be I should hold off on adding more iron?
Thank for your reply Hoppy.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
That happens to my Alt. Rein when it gets shaded. Seems that your CO2 is in a good range. Iron does help bring out the reds when the rest of the tank is balanced as Hoppy said. You can try adding some flourish or flourish iron a see if it helps. I dose 1ml per 10 gallon of flourish and about half for the iron

|
|
|
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick120
That happens to my Alt. Rein when it gets shaded. Seems that your CO2 is in a good range. Iron does help bring out the reds when the rest of the tank is balanced as Hoppy said. You can try adding some flourish or flourish iron a see if it helps. I dose 1ml per 10 gallon of flourish and about half for the iron
What if I already have enough iron then adding Florish iron could cause a problem won't it?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Extra iron won't hurt anything, as far as I have been able to learn.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode