KH increasing??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
KH increasing???

Could you please help me out and let me know what can increase KH value. It has been stable for 1.5 months but now has increased from 6 degrees to 9 degrees. Also the GH has went up from 9 degrees to 11 degrees. Am I ovesaturating with the CO2? I though CO2 had effect on pH, and maybe on the GH a bit but KH? Any suggestions? I have not made any changes to my tank, ie added any new rocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Sounds like you have some type of rocks (substrate, decoration) that is dissolving with the added CO2, and raising the kH.

How is your pH?
Have you changed the amount of CO2?
You say automatic CO2, Do you use a Ph monitor to admin the CO2?

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 03:25 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Assuming your water supply hasn't changed (though this is possible with the changing seasons), the KH/GH should be fairly stable. If you have a lot of evaporation and do frequent top offs, rather than water changes, you might see KH/GH raise over time.

It's only recently, after 3+ years, that I actually learned this . In my case it was driftwood leaching acids that was eating both KH/GH. So, take the time and try to get to the source if you can. One approach for doing this is to take items from the tank (e.g. substrate), put it in a bowl of water and monitor KH/GH for a week.

Good luck!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 04:13 AM

PTrader: (9/100%)
Like BSS said make sure you do water changes. As water evaporates it leaves the solids and your water will get harder. Frequent water changes prevent that.

Rick
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the help, as always a lot of good information. I have a lot of checking to do.
I do a regular water change once a week. I also do a top off once or twice a week depending how fast the water evapurates.
When I started my tank 2 months ago, the KH was 6 degrees, about 2 weeks ago it was still 6 degrees. It was just a recent change that brought it up to 9 degrees. However, I have not done any changes to my tank, everything is the way it was before. Would it make sense to de-chlorinate my tap water and test that for KH? If the water in the tap has increased then it would mean there is some sort of increase in the city water. Would that even be a safe assumption?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 03:40 PM
BSS

Sounds right to me. If you haven't changed anything, see if you can explain the increase with the source water. If it ain't that, then something inside you tank decide to change itself . Those can be the challenges to find. So, I'm guessing it's a change to your tap water.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

I checked the tap water and kh is still at 6 degrees. I am starting to get worried now that it is something in the aquarium that is causing it. As mentioned before I did not add anything new to my tank.
What is the safe KH reading? I am at 8 degrees after water change. Up to 9 degrees before watter change. The original was at 6 degrees.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 03:39 PM
BSS

Many have much higher readings, so that's not really a problem. However, if things are fluctuating, it is changing your tank conditions, so CO2 levels and the related pH targets start to fluctuate, and it becomes more challenging to strike a balance.

In my case, I had lowering KH. The actual cause was DW leaching acids. Not only did this give me fluctuating pH levels (because I use a controller), but it really had strange effects on plant growth and stuff. So, it just made things more challenging. On the brighter side, it did help me understand lots of stuff I might not have !

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode