need to remove Phosphate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
need to remove Phosphate

Today I bought a phosphate kit and checked the level in my 100 gal.tank and now I am a little worried ,the level is off the chart ,its more than 10 ppm,so far I have no problems with any kind of algae but I am sure most of you agree that I must reduce the level to around 1.5 or 2 ppm.Right?the nitrate is 10ppm. and PH is 7.0 (pressurized co2,),I know why I have such high level of phosphate, about a month ago I used a dose of "SEACHEM NEUTRAL REGULATOR" .now I have to remove most of it ,can I just do a %40 water change 2- 3 times a week to slowly reduce it ? anybody have a better idea ?how about SEACHEM PHOS guard? will I get a better result from that? this tank is heavily planted and plants need phosphate ,so won't the plants gradually use it up?
Any help is appreciated.
Ken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You need to raise your nitrate level to 20 ppm or so, using fertilizer dosing two or three times a week to maintain it at that level. Then you need to dedicate that phosphate test kit to paper weight duty, and dose phosphate so as to maintain a roughly 2 ppm level, with 2 or 3 doses a week. Finally, you need to increase your CO2 level until the tank PH is 1.0 lower than the PH of a sample of tank water allowed to degas for 24 hours.

And, if we knew what lighting you have, your KH and GH we might be in better position to give you some better suggestions.

Hoppy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply Hoppy,I am doing all the above except raising the nitrate to 20ppm.the co2 is 7.0 in the tank an 8.1 when degassed ( sample left out for 24 hrs)I fertilize 2-3 times a week with PMDD(K2SO4+NO3+MGSO4+Chelate trace element).
KH 8d
GH13d
Fe .6
Lighting.3 WPG.
Thanks for your help .

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
PMDD doesn't contain any phosphate at all. It was devised back when folks all believed that phosphate causes algae, which it doesn't. And, you shouldn't add any to that mix because it tends to precipitate the iron out. If you haven't done so already, look up EI fertilizing here and see if you want to try that. Back to your original question, plants do use up phosphate, if they have enough nitrates, traces, CO2, and micros to grow well. Once the plants are short of one of the required fertilizers the growth doesn't keep going, so the other ferts don't get used up fast. That's why the EI system makes sure you always have more of each fertilizer element than you need - then only the light limits the growth.

Hoppy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

All right then , so if I increase the nitrate level to 20ppm or even 40 ppm that should help use up most of the phosphate since my other parameters are within acceptable levels.
it make sense I'll give it a try before I go ahead and buy EI fertilizer.
Thanks again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode