PH rises by the end of the day! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/100%)
PH rises by the end of the day!

Well, I setup the tank before I had all the parts for the CO2 system. It has about four watts per gallon. THe plants are pearling. My PH rises from 7.4 in the morning to 8.2 by evening. If I remember right the plants are stripping carbon from the Calcium? Is this right. Could someone explain whats happening in detail? Should I be to concerned if my PH rises this high. Should have CO2 setup by next week.

Keith,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 01:57 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Carbon typically from CO2 is consumed by plants during daylight hours. To me, your tank is showing that the plants are using up more CO2 than is being injected into the system. So long as growth is good, I don't see any problem with that.

Regarding plants getting carbon from calcium, I think there might be cases where certain plants (vals, if I recall properly) will work to take carbon from calcium carbonates (a component of GH). This would most likely be in a tank with no supplemental CO2 injection.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Aren't plants amazing! To be able to assimilate what they need from other molecules. The swordfish sure don't like the high PH! Maybe I'll blow through a big straw,till my regulator arrives

Keith,

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I think what is happening is that during the night, with no photosynthesis going on the water is absorbing CO2 from the air. Then during the day the plants use up CO2, leaving the water with less CO2, therefore with a higher PH. I would say it is going from around 4 ppm in the morning to around 2.5 ppm by the end of the day. During the day the water is still absorbing CO2 from the air, but the plants are using it faster than it is being absorbed. The very high light intensity you have is driving the photosynthesis. I think you should drop the 96 watt light until you get pressurized CO2, or you will soon find you are growing a bumper crop of algae.

Hoppy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Hoppy,

I think you are right. I will leave most the light of till I get the CO2.

Thanks

Keith,
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 04:56 AM

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
The swordfish sure don't like the high PH! Maybe I'll blow through a big straw,till my regulator arrives

Keith,

Its been said many times that the PH rise/fall caused by CO2 consuption and excreetion does not harm fish. It is the change in GH/KH that affects the fish, and as long as those stay at their desired parameters, the fish notice nothing as long as they have oxygen to breathe.

But what has been said about the plants utlizing more CO2 than is being put into the water is probably the cause, since obvoiusly your seeing a cycle.

Further, can you post your water paramters?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the Information!

Right now I'm just test PH, NO2, NH3/NH4 Do you know a good source for CO2 and GH/KH testing?

Keith,

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode