New to compressed co2 tank Red star system - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
New to compressed co2 tank Red star system

Sup all i just changed from diy co2 to compressed co2, and i like already anyway the directions dont tell you sh!t heh i hooked everthing up right i guess the CO2 reactor that dissolves 180 bubbles per minute <-= click for pic. i dont know what speed i should put it on right now its on half speed should i make it faster or leave it on slow? Here is the pic of the co2 tank gauge i have it on 15 should i up it too 20?
Is low ph good i have 7 fish + 20 shrimp, i know the hardness is hard i didnt use the water softer on the last water change is it better to have hard or soft water when useing co2. O and iam getting 1 bubble a sec sorry for all the question and rambling heheh
my tank info
no3=0
no2=0
gh=300
kh=200
ph=6.6-6.4 in that range
co2 ppm 23

Filstar pimp#48

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

24g Aquapod 60w led Pressurized co2 paintball system DIY blacked out stand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
If your pH is 6.4 and the kH is 200 ppm then your CO2 levels are 134 ppm which is a tad bit high. This of course is assuming that you have not added any pH altering chemicals to the tank.

If your pH is 6.6 and your kH is 200 ppm then your CO2 levels are still a tad bit high at 84 ppm.

I sure hope your fish made it though the night.

The rest of your questions can be answered by reading the forum or even taking a few minutes and reading my Guide.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

everthing is a live i just lost 3shrimp with the water change.

Filstar pimp#48

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i keep reading and looking at the fourms and i still dont know what iam doin you think i should lower the bubble count to 1 bubble ever 2 sec? or can some1 just tell me how many bubble there getting a sec on your 10gallon with pressurized tank. and do i need to boast ph? plez help

Filstar pimp#48

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Start off with 20 bubbles/minute.
Using the chart on this page: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm cross reference your pH (across the top) with your KH (across the left side) to find out the CO2 concentration in your tank.
If it's low, increase the number of bubbles per minute slightly. Test again the next day.
If it's high, decrease the number of bubbles/minute slightly. Test again the next day.

Other important bits to consider -
1. Have you ever added anything to your water to change the pH, GH or KH? If so, what?

2. Take a clean drinking glass of water from your tap, and let it set overnight. From this sample test the pH, GH and KH of your tap water. (you're letting it set to off-gas any nitrogen, oxygen and CO2 that may have built up in the sample).

3. Take samples of the tank water's pH, GH and KH. You can compare these to the numbers from your tap to see if anything in your tank is affecting hardness of your water. If they are drastically different, ask questions.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbhil
Start off with 20 bubbles/minute.
Using the chart on this page: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm cross reference your pH (across the top) with your KH (across the left side) to find out the CO2 concentration in your tank.
If it's low, increase the number of bubbles per minute slightly. Test again the next day.
If it's high, decrease the number of bubbles/minute slightly. Test again the next day.

Other important bits to consider -
1. Have you ever added anything to your water to change the pH, GH or KH? If so, what?

2. Take a clean drinking glass of water from your tap, and let it set overnight. From this sample test the pH, GH and KH of your tap water. (you're letting it set to off-gas any nitrogen, oxygen and CO2 that may have built up in the sample).

3. Take samples of the tank water's pH, GH and KH. You can compare these to the numbers from your tap to see if anything in your tank is affecting hardness of your water. If they are drastically different, ask questions.

I agree with this method...10g is small to inject pressurized co2 into...that cylinder should last a long time if you set it up correctly. The 20 bubbles per minute sounds like a good starting point. A good time to really fine tune it is on a weekend where you can measure in the morning, afternoon and evening. Its difficult to tell you what bubble count to use since all systems are essentially different to some degree, but its a good number to start with. Use the needle valve to slightly lower-raise as you measure your pH through the day. If the reactor is set up right, you should expect your pH to drop from ambient (tap water) to your target level in a few hours (3-5).

Keep reading and ask questions...the more specific the questions, the easier it is for us to provide an answer.

Re-boot!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Pressurized CO2 is doable on a 10 gallon tank. The problem is most of the commercial regulator setups don't have fine enough control to get low bubble rates.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thaxs ill try this weekend when iam off. ill keep you updated..

Filstar pimp#48

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode