Nutrient Dosing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ok, I need some advice.

I'm using PMDD to dose nutrients. Breakdown of my trace mix is as follows: Fe 7%, B 1.3%, Mn 2%, Zn 0.4%, Cu 0.1%, Mo 0.06%
I'm adding potassium sulfate, potassium nitrate and magnesium sulfate. Basically the Sears and Conlin method.

Now, on the krib it is recommended that as a base dosage you would do 6 drops for a 29 gallon tank. They recommend that if you have a heavily planted tank, high lighting and CO2 injection that you maybe double that amount to 12 drops. Of course all the while monitoring your iron level trying to maintain 0.1ppm iron. So, following their suggestion for high production tanks I have been dosing 12 drops for several weeks now and the iron level doesn't even register on my Hagen test kit.

So, this morning I dosed my regular 12 drops and when I got home from work, I dosed another 12. Why the heck not? Does anyone else have this experience? 24 drops of PMDD seems awefully excessive for a 29 gallon tank. In the past, I was always scared about dosing 1 drop in my 10s. Should I keep dosing the 24 and see if the iron levels come up?

The tank has pressurized CO2, and 110 watts. It also has what I would consider a fairly low fish load. 2 gold barbs, 2 ottos, 8 neons, 2 white clouds and 2 ember tetras. The tank is reasonably planted. I don't know if I would go as far as to say "heavily". Maybe it is and I don't know the difference. Here is a link to a pic: http://www.doodlefrog.com/gallery.ph...ageAutonum=375 . It has grown up even more since then, and the rotalla in the lower left has been replaced with a patch of glosso (Thanks GCA! You da man!)

--- Dave ---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
First off the whole PMDD thing sucks. Iron test kits suck. How much is 12 drops? How much is 24 drops? I use Plantex CSM as a trace mix and normally run about 5-8 ml a week in my 4 wpg tank. I also dose extra iron as I have found that if you use Plantex in the quantity to get the iron levels up you have very high levels of copper.

The whole idea behind the Sears and Conlin method, limiting phosphates to control algae, has pretty much been blown out of the water. In what I call a fast tank, which you have, high light and CO2, you often have to add phosphates to keep your plants growing well.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Rex, where do you get your nutrients at? Do you use a commercial product or do you mix your own?

--- Dave ---

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You can get all the nutrients from http://www.plantgeek.net/store.php If you need extra iron just use Flourish Iron. I use all bulk nutrients except for Flourish.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 12:52 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have definitely found it to be far better to dose half the amount, twice as often. When you do those one, big, weekly doses, far too much of what you've dosed becomes available for algae consumption, even in a high tech tank.
I do agree with Rex in dosing the nutrients seperately. No need overdosing one particular nutrient because it is lumped in with all the other supplements.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, that makes sense.

So I'll keep dosing the 12 drops as per high output tanks, but supplement that with external iron source. I still have a big bottle of Flora Pride sitting around. I'll start working that into my dosage.

Thanks all

--- Dave ---
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Read this:https://www.plantedtank.net/fertilizers.html especially the part where it says "dose the nutrients seperately"

FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow, that's an eye opener.

If I understand that calculator correctly, I'm severly underdosing on several of the nutrients. For example, Magnesium Sulfate needs 75 teaspoons mixed into 50 ml of water in order to give you 7.3 ppm per 1ml doseage.

Am I reading that right? I mean, my current mix has like maybe 3 teaspoons in a 250 ml solution.

--- Dave ---
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
First of all you can't dilute 75 teaspoons of epsom salt into 50ml of water. But if you could, 75 teaspoons diluted in 50 ml of water would yield 46.9 ppm per ml of solution added to a 29 gallon tank... Thats what I came up with.

Don't use the "recalculate button" just fill in the blanks then click on a blank part of the screen, then it'll do the calcs.

FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I must be doing something wrong, or having a serious brain fart. The only way I can get that form to show 46.9 is if I leave it on Potassium Nitrate. When I drop it down to magnesium sulfate is becomes 7.3.

Maybe I'll mess with it when I get home. Been doing way too much PHP development today to mess with this. Brain is dribbling out my ear.

--- Dave ---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode