Dosing Excel questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fishcrazee
Dosing Excel questions

Ok, I have no idea how to dose excel. I know it sounds stupid but on my bottle, it says use 5mL every 10 gallons, then 5 mL every 50 gallons. Which one is correct? I'm still confused. Also how many times should it be dosed a week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 03:36 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
The intial dose is 5ml for every 10 gallons, like after a water change, then you dose 5ml per 50 gallons either every day or every other day. When depends on your light, plants. Can you give us some info on your tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

10 gal, 2wpg, DIY CO2, dose flourish, N,K,P, pH 7.0~6.8, kh:NA, gh:NA , Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate all 0. I have to go get a kh testkit but I can't find any.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 05:07 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Why do you want to dose Excel? If your DIY CO2 works, you should not need it.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My DIY CO2 works but goes about 1b every 20 seconds or something. I have no idea what is wrong, I just changed it today and it still goes 1 bubble every 20 seconds or so...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 05:13 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you're just using excel as a CO2 supplement, then you dose 5 ml the first time, and after a water change of 40% or more.

Then, every other day, add 2 mil, or
every day, add 1 ml.

I choose to dose mine every other day. I do not dose excel on days I dose flourish. If I dose excel and micros on the same day, my tank gets cloudy. No apparent harm done, but it's not pretty.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Algae Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcrazee
My DIY CO2 works but goes about 1b every 20 seconds or something. I have no idea what is wrong, I just changed it today and it still goes 1 bubble every 20 seconds or so...
Maybe you have a leak some where, what mixture are you using?

|
|
|
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I use 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of yeast, and fill the water up to the part of the soda bottle that starts to curve in. I might have a leak then, so should I reseal the tubing?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Algae Eater

what temp. water are you using? Spray some soapy water around all the connections and the tubing to see where the leak is.

|
|
|
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The water temp is room temperature. I would guess 70~75 F. I'll try the soapy water thing now thank you
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 11:26 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I add baking soda to my brew so the acidity doesn't get too high and kill off the yeast. In my mix, I use 1/8 teaspoon of yeast and 3/4 teaspoon baking soda (I'm using the Nutrafin kits which are much smaller than the soda bottles), so if you use 1/2 teaspoon of yeast, I'm guessing that you should add 1 and 1/4 teaspoons of baking soda. I got my amounts from those packets that came with the kit. Good luck!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode