Is it possible to have high KH and a calcium deficiency? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is it possible to have high KH and a calcium deficiency?

I live in SE Michigan and am on well water. My KH is 14. My plants show distorted growth and I suspect magnesium or calcium deficiency. Is it possible to have such a high KH and still have a calcium deficiency?

I just bought some Kent Liquid Calcium. Any idea how many mL to add to a 125g tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Yes it is. kH is bicarbonates. gH is calcium and magnesium.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 01:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
High KH and no GH....sounds like the work of a water softener.

Do you have one?

Compare water from an outside connection to an inside one. Also, the cold-water tap in your kitchen would likely not be "softened".

If it turns out not to be the result of a softener, and your water is naturally lacking GH, consider a product like Kent RO Right. It adds GH without KH, and is much less expensive than liquid supplements (albeit, not as cheap as mixing up your own stuff).

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
If you have a water softener then try using a connection that is not softened. The gH is replaced with sodium or in some cases potassium. Adding the gH back in will result in water that has a very high level of TDS.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankfreak
I live in SE Michigan and am on well water. My KH is 14. My plants show distorted growth and I suspect magnesium or calcium deficiency. Is it possible to have such a high KH and still have a calcium deficiency?

I just bought some Kent Liquid Calcium. Any idea how many mL to add to a 125g tank?
What's your GH?

Regards,
Barry

FILSTAR Advocate #39
Member, Minnesota Aquarium Society
29 Gal. - 100% Eco-Complete/2x65W CF/CO2/Filstar XP2/RedSea500/KH:3/GH:5/pH:< 5.5/EI Dosing/WWC 50%
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
We do have a water softener. Would this remove enough calcium and/or magnesium to cause deficiency?

Would I be better off using water from an unsoftened tap?

Unfortunately my test kits are 4 years old and I cant trust their readings. I need to get new ones and test softened taps and unsoftened taps. Then I will report back.

thanks for the help!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 05:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
My tap comes out at 20KH 20GH. I made the mistake of using softened water when I first set up one of my tanks. The plants yellowed and died, and algae flourished. When I tested the tank water, it read 20KH 0GH. When I did a 50% water change with "unsoftened" tap (20KH 20GH), the resulting mix read 20KH 5GH. My water softener was removing the Ca/Mg with some Na+ to spare.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 05:05 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Water from an untreated tap should work much better. Most water softeners remove Ca and Mg and replace it with Na which isn't plant friendly. If your water is too hard, mixing it with some RO/DI would work better. But try first using unsoftened water, at least the Ca deficiency will be gone.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode