Baking Soda & pH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via MSN to saint27 Send a message via Yahoo to saint27
Baking Soda & pH

OK, so I got another problem that hopefully someone can enlighten me on.

As I posted earlier I use Baking Soda to bring up my KH level because my tap water has absolutley none what so ever. The pH of my tap water is right around 6.8. I have been having problems with the pH climbing in my tank. I use 2 gallons buckets to change my water so I did a test run just using 2 gallons of water. Fill the bucket with tep water and tests show:

pH = 6.8
KH = 0 ppm
GH = 50 ppm

I then add 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda and test again.

pH = 7.4 !
KH = 56 ppm
GH = 100 ppm

The hardness levels come out as they should, but the pH jump seems really high to me. Especally since that is only about 3 degrees of KH. I am running a Hagen CO2 unit with the ladder and it doesn't seems to be able to bring down the pH in my 20 gallon long. Can one one help me out. Acording to the charts that I see everywhere I am not getting any of the CO2 to stay in the water as long KH and high pH are a worse case scenaireo. I have tried not supplementing the baking soda and as expected the pH crashes.

Thanks for any help that can be given.

P.S. I have never used anything in the tank that contains phosphates either. No other buffers since I really didn't have to worry about it till I started injecting the CO2.

High Tech:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Your second set of numbers says you had about 3-4 ppm of CO2 in the water, about what I would expect. If you actually started with 10 ppm of KH instead of zero, that would be consistent with about 3-4 ppm CO2 also. I wouldn't trust any test kit that gave a zero KH reading - measuring such a low KH with a titration kit isn't easy. Now, factor in the uncertainty in PH, using a test kit, and your results are very consistent.

Hoppy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Take a look at any kH/pH/CO2 chart. When the CO2 level is around 3-4 ppm that's where your pH is going to be.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via MSN to saint27 Send a message via Yahoo to saint27
So is there a way to increase CO2 with a Hagen DIY System? I have a 20 gallon long and I have the hose set to the bottom of the ladder.

High Tech:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 08:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The Hagen DIY system is just the ladder. You can use a 2 or 3 liter plastic bottle for the container of the yeast (ordinary Fleischmans yeast) and sugar water. So, yes, you can increase the CO2 by using two bottles, and by using the 2 or 3 liter size bottles. Just make sure the CO2 isn't being lost to leakage.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode