Greg's Goods. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
Greg's Goods.

My question is if I'm already dosing Seachem Excel, Flourish and Iron in my tank, what else should I get. I do notice that some plants aren't doing so well just because I have a very high amount of light. I was hoping to get a little more info on the CSM+B Plantex and PPMD Pre Mix. Would it be too much? I have 65W over a 10G. Pressurized is coming soone but I'm doing DIY CO2. I'm around 16ppm or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 01:48 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Greg is very willing to respond to questions about your specific needs, which depend on your setup and the dosing method you choose. No hard sell at all.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt
You'll be better off getting KNO3 and KH2PO4 and maybe GH Booster and K2SO4. Every plant is different and it's easier to modify with the separate ingredients.

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

I recommend Greg.

I just recieved a reply from Mr. Watson aka Greg and he was very helpfull and informative. He guiding me the right direction and actually gave me a little tip for my setup which I thought was cool.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 07:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to GregWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by eds
Greg is very willing to respond to questions about your specific needs, which depend on your setup and the dosing method you choose. No hard sell at all.
<grin> ... but as many people know ... often the first answer is to send someone back to "their favorite online planted aquarium home" to read about various dosing strategies first <grin> ...

So if you ask me the question "what do I need" you will not get the answer you expect <grin> ... it will be come back here, read about the various dosing strategies, find a strategy that makes sense to you and matches your lifestyle ...

Once you choose a strategy ... that strategy often tells you the answer to the questions "what do I need" ... "how much do I dose" ... "how often do I dose

There are a lot of "right ways" to do things ... aka a lot of strategies will work as long as your are consistent with them week after week after week...

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

I recommend Greg's Goods!!!

I received the Goods and I must say that I'm very impressed on how Greg has helped me out on choosing the products and helping me understand some things. So for all those looking to get some ferts... Gregs the Man.

One question...

I was going through Chucks site and I know that it says to measure by grams instead of teaspoon and whatnot. I know that teaspoons and tablespoons might change in sizes depending each manufacturer. So I have an electrical weight that measures in grams and stuff. The question is after downloading the fertilator, where it says target ? ppm, do I have to dose that every other day at that quantity of ppm or is it a keeping it on ? ppm weekly?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
When you dose the amounts from ther fertilator you are adding enough of the fert to get water that has none up to the specified concentration. Usually your plants will not use up that amount in one day. So you skip a day for the macros and dose the micros. This minimizes interactions that may occur between micros and macros. Your plants will determine how often you actually have to dose to keep the ferts in the range you want.

Brian

Eheim Pimp #134
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Ahh... I see. So let me get this straight... The suggested target level ?ppm will be for the dose of that day, skip the next and dose again the following? So I'll be dosing that same amount every time I dose Macros.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/94%)
Yer makin this harder than it has to be. The fertilator does not assume any dosing schedule, just what is needed to add to a volume of water to get a specific ppm. The results are a one time shot. Add this, get this. Your weekly schedule is up to you. Some people add all ingredients in on go, some dont.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Jimmy, thanks for the post but I'm not using the fertilator as a dosing schedule. I'm going to be dosing micros, macros, micros, macros and blah. What I'm some what confused is in the amount of ?ppm per dose. Say for instance, 5ppm for Nitrates. If I'm going by my dosing schedule, do I target 5ppm of nitrates everytime I dose or 5ppm nitrate per weekly schedule in total? That's what I'm confused about. Suggested Target Level ?ppm per dose or weekly.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 12:47 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I just started dosing the ferts last week, so I am pretty new at this as well. The way I understand it is that you want to maintain the Nitrate level at 5ppm. That correspond to the ideal level, or you target level. Therefore if you have 0 Nitrates, you would need to dose enough mL of the solution to bring your Nitrates up to 5ppm. How often you do it depend on how fast your plants use it. For the experienced guys here their plants are so well developed that they need to dose it every other day. In my case I dosed every other day, and checked my Nitrates levels they were through the roof. That tells me that either my plants are not using it as fast, or I have few dead fish decomposing somewhere in there. At the curren time I only need to dose twice a week to keep my Nitrates at the target level. I think it is almost imposibble to keep the levels at exacly 5ppm. For examle in my tank I am aiming at 10ppm. What I do currently is dose enough nitrates to bring it up to 15ppm, as the days pass by these get used up. Since I don't have the tank figured out yet, I test everyday for nitrates, once these drop to 5ppm, I dose again to bring these up to 15ppm. It could be 2 days, sometimes 3 days.
Sorry for the long reply, I hope it helped. If this is not making sense please let me know because maybe I am doing something wrong as well.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 01:45 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
I tell you one thing for sure - Greg sure isn't doing this to get rich! I figure the $25 or so worth of chemicals I bought from him are going to last at least a couple of years on my 30 and 55g. Some - the Fe, maybe 5 or 10!
The most important thing is to order everything you want at one time, as the shipping is almost more than the materials themselves.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

HIJACK! My own thread. :P

Thanks guys. I'm actually getting the whole ?ppm thing. And a correction I wanted to make was that I wasn't using the fertilator from APC. It's the one from Chuck's site. But anywho... I'm getting the whole dosing thing. I have a quick question that will change the conversation a bit.

My ph went down to 6.4 today and the kh is at 6.2. Which translates to "DAMN!". What I want to know is if it's easier to just cut down on the COdeuce or easier to bring down the kh? I want to aim the 25 - 30ppm range on the COdeuce with the DIY and I know that it might be a little hard to do, but I'm just waiting for the whole pressurized system to come. Help me guys. As soon as I saw 70+ppm I freaked out.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeplove
My ph went down to 6.4 today and the kh is at 6.2. Which translates to "DAMN!". What I want to know is if it's easier to just cut down on the COdeuce or easier to bring down the kh? I want to aim the 25 - 30ppm range on the COdeuce with the DIY and I know that it might be a little hard to do, but I'm just waiting for the whole pressurized system to come. Help me guys. As soon as I saw 70+ppm I freaked out.

Bringing down the KH isn't going to change CO2 levels. KH and pH are just indicators that help us guestimate CO2.

If your fish are fine, leave the CO2 alone. If not, find a way to reduce CO2 (or increase O2).

Anything else is not going to work.

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Spank you very much.

The fish are actually fine and I do see MUCH growth. Especially that dang Glosso. It's even climbing on my other plants. That's very annoying. But I'll add some stones and MORE plants. Can't never have to little.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode