Using dry ferts from Greg Watson - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using dry ferts from Greg Watson

Hello everyone.

I purchased the dry fers from Greg Watson. I bought everything that is recommended on Rex Grigg website. I have also read everything about these dry ferts on Griggs website. I am pretty sure that I get the targets, and how to use that nutrients calculator. The questions that I have arrising are as follows:

1. Can I mix all of the chemicals in one bottle with 250ml of water. Or should I mix four bottles with each individual fert? I think it would be easier to have just one bottle with the correct mixture but if four are needed then please let me know.

2. Do I pour the whole mix(250ml) in one day, or should I space it over few days so that there is no algae outbreaks?

3. If indeed four bottles are needed for each fert, do I put a content of each bottle at one time or do I space it over a certain period.

Please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 08:56 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
Iron can bond with PO4. You can mix everything ok except the CSM+B. Dose your CSM+ separate.

I would not even bother mixing in water. Just dry dose it. It is simpler and faster.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 02:36 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrguymon
Iron can bond with PO4. You can mix everything ok except the CSM+B. Dose your CSM+ separate.

I would not even bother mixing in water. Just dry dose it. It is simpler and faster.
What would you suggest dosing dry for a 90 gal?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
I just use a coffee mug (without coffee in it) to mix up my ferts when i used EI. I would dump my dry in the mug, add tank water, stir, and dump. Its fast and easy, and cuts down on the chances of fish eating the ferts and causing an issue.

jB
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 02:52 PM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I can tell you what I do, but understand that you will probably (really) want to do some water testing.

EI dosing relies on a theory and estimates. The theory is that if you change 1/x percent of your water weekly, the worse you can get off is x times your weekly fert dose.

The estimates are your starting point and your absorption rates. The kicker is that plants will adjust to fert, so absorption rate changes (sometimes fairly dramitically) as your fertilize. (your starting point might very as well - depending on your source).

So anyway. My tap is pretty high on PO4 to start with (it is pretty high on everything, but PO4 became an issue). I mix a Macro solution of 1 TBS of NO3 and 1 tps of K2SO4, and a pinch (1/16 tps) of PO4 in 250ml of water. This is dosed at about 80ml, 3 times a week - essentially dosing 1 tsp of NO3 each 80 ml dose. I also mix a micro solution 1TBS of Plantex in 250ml of water, dosing 30ml on alternate days.

Imediately after a water change I do not dose, Prime nutralizes NO3. The next day I dose 1tbs of PMDD and 1/2 tbs of NO3 (both measured dry)- this is essentially a Micro and a Macro dose (but with epson salt and w/o added PO4 - my change water has plenty for a few days absorption).

The day after this I start alternating Macros and Micros.

This routine took some trial and error. I found the more NO3 I put in the water, the more the plants absorbed it. As NO3 absorption when up, other fert absorption changeds as well.

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 02:59 PM

great info guys...thanks so much I am trying to get a handle on dosing so all of thiis helps...What size tank so you have?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I have a 29 gallon tank, and dose Gregg's ferts dry. I use 1/4 to 3/8 tsp of KNO3, 1/16 tsp of KH2PO4. So, for a 90 gallon tank you could triple those doses. I do this every other day, with CSM+B+extra iron on the alternate days. That, I mix two tsp in 250 ml of water and dose around 10 ml at a time. I also add a tsp of MgSO4 to the CSM mix, just to be sure I have enough Mg. That means I am dosing 2/25 tsp of CSM+B+extra iron and 1/25 tsp MgSO4 every other day. The usual standard for CSM+B is three tsp in 250 ml water, dosed 5 ml each time, but I find it easier to dose 10 ml than 5 ml.

Hoppy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 03:51 PM

Thx Hoppy!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode