CO2 and pH

I am trying to reduce my pH down to 6.8/6.9. My current specs are:

original pH: 7.5
current pH in afternoon: 7.1
current pH in morning: 7.4
bubble count approx. 250 bubbles per minute, just over 4 bubbles /second
KH 5 to 6 degrees
GH 8 to 9 degrees

-Should I increase my bubble count to even more? The 4 bubbles/second seems a bit much?

-Is the .3 swing in pH betwen morning, and afternoon OK, or should I try to get is adjusted somehow? Any ideas?

-I also find it strange that I am able to maintaint pH of 7.1 during the day when plants are using it, yet in the morning(overnight) the pH goes up even though there should be more CO2? I run my CO2 24/7. At night I also turn on air pump, and turn up my filtration to create more waves so that the fish can have some oxygen. Is is possible that this distortion at the suface is make the CO2 escape that much faster?

Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
Yes, it is possible that the disturbance on the waters surface is causing that much CO2 loss, especially the air pump bubbling. Don't worry about the little of a ph swing. How are you dissolving the CO2 into your water column? That may be why you can't get your ph down to the level you are targeting.

Brian

Eheim Pimp #134
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you for the quick reply. I forgot to mention what kind of diffuser I am using. It looks like a ladder, and the bubbles go up the ladder from side to side. As they go up you can see them getting smaller. Once they reach the top they just bubble up to the surface.
I bought this ladder because there was no tank limit on in, so I though it would be able to handle my 90G.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
stop surface disturbance during the day and check for leaks.. use a soap/water mix and spray down your tank, hoses, etc., looking for CO2 leak.

4 bps is too much. I have never heard of anyone needing more than 3, and most get by with less, like 1 or 2 bps. Also consider building a CO2 reactor, it will dissolve CO2 better than your ladder. Others like a venturi reactor to blow Co2 bubbles around the tank.

Regards,
Barry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FILSTAR Advocate #39
Member, Minnesota Aquarium Society
29 Gal. - 100% Eco-Complete/2x65W CF/CO2/Filstar XP2/RedSea500/KH:3/GH:5/pH:< 5.5/EI Dosing/WWC 50%
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you for all the help and suggestions. I checked the CO2 bottle and all the fittings. It all seem alright.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 01:53 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
I pump in 3 bubbles per second on my tank. There are tons of variables that could effect bubble size. I would not worry about the bubble rate too much since you have checked for leaks.

Since you have an internal reactor I am assuming you are counting the bubbles in the tank water its self. If so, even if you had a leak between the reactor and the regulater it problably would not effect your bubble rate at all.

Rick

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode