In over my head - help understanding this, please. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
In over my head - help understanding this, please.

Ooohkay. Gulp. Here goes...

(Most particulars are in signature line)

I have it all, except the ph controller. Thought I could get by without it if I used a timer for 8 hour daytime C02 injection and night-time bubler to drive off excess C02, but was just told I should get one pronto - and I will.

I was also told to cut one bulb out of the equation so that I have 2 wpg versus 4 wpg on an 8hr cycle. So I have. The C02 runs in conjunction with the lights.

I'm really trying to go about this right, but [email protected], this planted tank thing is overwhelming!! The dosing and chemical thing is what really has me messed up! (Stay is school kids!)

I just set-up C02 injection yesterday, getting 1 bps. Raced home at lunch today to make certain the fish were ok. Everyone seems content.

While there, I did my water parameters. Lately I've had 0 kH, so I fed the tank a tsp of baking soda yesterday to augment my really soft west coast water. That's helped. Here's the particulars:

PH: 6.6
KH: 30 ppm HARDNESS
GH: 60 ppm HARDNESS
N02: 0.1 NITRITE
N03: negligible (lost the booklet, colour is barely pink) NITRATE
NH: 0-0.6 AMONIA
P04: 1.0

So, what does all this mean?

I bought some Seachem Equilibrium. Has anyone used this? Would this be prudent? A LFS clerk said it would raise my kH, but from what I read online, it seems related to GH. Is my GH ok?

I have dry ferts from a local hydroponics store, Greg Watson ferts I inherited, plus a bunch of seachem liquid ferts. Here's the dosing schedule I was planning. Let me know what you think.

PARAMETER TARGETS:

PH — 6.5/7.0
TempΊ — 76Ί/78Ί
Filtration — 3-5x the volume /hr
CO2 — 30 ppm
KH — 30/50 ppm
GH — 40/120 ppm
Mg — 5-10 —>45 ppm
NO3 —10 ppm (KNO3)
PO4 — 0.2/0.5 ppm (KH2PO4)
K — 20-30 —>50 ppm
Fe— 0.1 ppm to 0.25

DOSING SCHEDULE:

Sunday-----Day1) 50% H20, vacuum, prune/preen, ½ tsp baking soda to raise KH

Monday-----Day2) DRY MACRO: 1/4 Tsp-KN03, 1/16 Tsp-KH2P04,1/16 Tsp-K2S04

Tuesday----Day3) LIQUID MICRO: 5ml Trace, 2ml-Fe (Iron)

Wednesday-Day4) DRY MACRO: 1/4 Tsp-KN03, 1/16 Tsp-KH2P04,1/16 Tsp-K2S04

Thursday---Day5) LIQUID MICRO: 5ml Trace, 2ml-Fe

Friday------Day6) DRY MACRO: 1/4 Tsp-KN03, 1/16 Tsp-KH2P04,1/16 Tsp-K2S04

Saturday---Day7) LIQUID MICRO: 5ml Trace, 2ml-Fe

Then someone suggested this instead of the above:

1/2 liter water
1 tbl Plantex CSM +B
1 tbl MgSO4
2 tbl K2SO4
1 tbl KNO3

"0.5 ml of PMDD per gallon (tank size, not actual water volume) per week."
In the case of 30g, its .5ml x 30g = 15ml per week.

****Which is better - or right - for dosing my tank?

P.S. I welcome any and all criticism, comments, opinions and advice. I love my fish, and the hobby, but sometimes I feel like I'm in over my head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The last dosing suggestion you mention is a PMDD type fertilizing routine. That one dates to when people believed PO4 causes algae. The first schedule looks pretty good to me. You still don't need a PH controller, but that is an issue that people have different opinions on, so you will probably find as many saying you do need it as saying you don't need it. For sure you can grow plants ok without it, where you would have a hard time doing so without the fertilizing routine. So, it can be looked at as a luxury item of value to those who like what it does.

Hoppy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
The last dosing suggestion you mention is a PMDD type fertilizing routine. That one dates to when people believed PO4 causes algae.
I assumed that since they were all mixed in together that the P04 was left out because of precipitation......

Here are Banderbe's words from the other thread:

Quote:
I guess it's a personal preference but I found it a much bigger pain to pull out my bag of powders, get my scoop, dump it in the tank, zip up the bags, put them back in the closet and still not feel sure about accuracy, especially with the tiny amounts of PO4 I was dosing.

Now I keep a pre-mixed solution, draw 5 ml out with an oral syringe, squirt, and I'm done. Way easier, in my experience
I agree completely. The first schedule is going to give You more latitude in determining what's needed,etc. The second is going to give You convenience....

This is what I've done:

I used the fertilator to determine what "solutions" I need to mix up in 1gal.(4,000ml) jugs (I now have 5 tanks to dose) that will give me what I seek in about 1ml/gal of tank water...

In other words, Of the Iron solution that I mixed up: 1ml/gal of tank water will give me 0.1ppm Iron. So, I know that if I seek 0.1ppm of Iron--its 10ml for the 10gal tank, 55mls for the 55gal tank, etc, etc, etc---this works well for me.

I have a 100ml beaker with 1ml increments, a 1ml eye dropper (for nano), and a plastic cup for each tank. I get everything out, do rough measurements with the beaker, add extra water into each cup--and then go dump them into the tanks, then put everything away.....Works Great--For Me.

Which is better for You--is something that You will have to determine over time. Which is better for Your tank: I haven't been at this long enough to be able to just look at Tank-size+Fert quantity+Frequency and tell which is better--or if they are both good or bad. But there are others here with that skill--they'll come along....

Although at 4wpg--I'd say the second method's Once-A-Week dosing is not correct.

Quote:
I have dry ferts from a local hydroponics store, Greg Watson ferts I inherited, plus a bunch of seachem liquid ferts. Here's the dosing schedule I was planning.
You may be able to mix-n-match the Hydro and GW Ferts, but the SeaChem you need to dose the quantities by the label....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I tried to go get the fertilator but had to register which I did but never received the confirmation email so I couldn't use it. Also Chucks calculator doesn't have everything in it that I would like to see. ie CSM+B and Iron Chelates.

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Go Here:

Contact webmaster

Let them know--they will complete your registration and let you know. Give them the username and email address that you registered with. I've been through that on other forums.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

I went to this site today and did not have to register: HERE

Thank you for all the help!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You need to get that kH up to at least 50-60 ppm.

And Seachem Equilibrium does nothing for kH.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Rex, will add some more baking soda!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Do this:

Stick with a KH of 30ppm , that's fine.
Add enough CO2 for this KH to drop the pH to 6.2 or 6.3 range for the entire day length.

Add 1/2 teaspoon of the Seachem Eq after water change

Add 3x a week:
1/4 teaspoon KNO3
1/16th teaspoon KH2PO4(subdivide 1/4 by 2 and then 2 equal amounts)
Add TMG (Tropica master grow) 5mls 3x a week

50% weekly water change

That's it.

Note: extra Fe, Mn, K+, Mg, Ca come from the SeaChem eq.
Gregwatson sells an equivalent Gh booster also BTW.

If you want to alternate every other day, macros and traces, you may, some divide these amounts into daily dosing. again, that's up to you.

Anytime you measure CO2, measure both KH and pH. Given your tap is very softm, not much play will be involved due to funny KH readings.

So I'm not sure, but I think that is about as easy as you can get.
Should not take more than 30 seconds to dose this nor figure it out.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Tom.

What do you mean by "not much play because of funny kH readings?"
And where would I get Tropica master grow?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode