KH and Phosphate help Please! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
KH and Phosphate help Please!

Ok here's the deal two weeks ago my KH was 9 degress, one week ago it was 8, now this morning it is six? What could be causeing this? I added two pieces of drift wood to attach Java Moss and Java Fern to now could that effect the KH possibly?

Also it would seem as though my phosphates refuse to come below 5 ppm. My test last week showed that they were slightly lower than five but now this week they are back up above that again. I just scrapped all the algae off my glas yesterday witha razor blade.. could that put more phosphates into the water?

Any advice, tips and or criticism would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 07:34 PM

It's quite possible the wood in your tank is responsible for the reduction in KH. Although AFAIK the acids from bogwood usually have more of an effect on KH than those from driftwood.

Regular large water changes may help.

Good luck!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I second what Iggy said about the driftwood leeching an acid that will effect the kH.

Also, how much CO2 are you injecting?
I had a similar problem when I went too far with my CO2, and brought my kH from 8 ppm to 5 in 1 week.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Right now I'm holding my ph at 7.0 just to be "safe" for now. I don't need 30 ppm of gas yet being that my tank isn't fully planted.. maybe only about 40% planted. I'm doing 40% changes weekly and the water I'm putting into the tank has a kh reading of 9.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

maybe your kh is going down slowly over time because the sodium bicarbonate wears down fighting the evil hydrogen ions in the water. Dont they cancle eachother out?

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
You do have fish in this tank, right? If so, the nitrogen cycle has a by product of nitric acid that will gradually reduce your kH. You will need to do more than 40% water changes each week to reduce the nitric acid and keep your kH more constant. Yes the bogwood could be adding to this by leaching out tanic acid.

Up your change to 60% per week and see if that controls it.

If you are using a set point of pH 7.0 and controlling it with CO2, you are gradually reducing the amount of CO2 you are injecting as the kH goes down.

How are you controlling the pH. If with CO2 then see above. If with buffers, then you may be using a phosphate buffer which is why your PO4 stays where it is. Do you have PO4 in your tap water? That's the another likely source. The last source is from feeding your fish. With 40% water change, and not fully planted, it is unlikely that your PO4 will go down. It is more likely that it will go up.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

I have an automated CO2 system that keeps it at 7.0 I know it's the wood that I added to my aquarium because I didn't have this problem til I added that.

I can't do 60 % because I have to use cold tap water so as to bypass my home's water softener. A 40 % water change is pushing it still. I think I'll just get some chem to add to my water to up the kh a degree or two. I printed out Rex's guide so I know what to use and how much to dose as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode