Orchid Food can be a good Nitrogen (Nitrate) Source - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Orchid Food can be a good Nitrogen (Nitrate) Source

My girlfriend and i live together. while im a fanatic about tanks, she is crazy about orchids so for valentines day i bought her an orchid! anyways, to make a long story short.... as time went by the orchid started to die. i followed all the directions but it just kept losing its new buds and it did not look healthy. i took it to the nursery and they said that i needed to give it a supplement that would supply it with a higher dose of nitrogen. So the lady gave me a small ziplock bag full of this blue salt crystal-like stuff she called orchid food and told me that the food would give it a high dose of nitrogen and that i only needed to feed the orchids every 10 days. she also warned me that the food had a super HIGH concentration and that i only needed 1/2 a teaspoon per gallon of water i diluted it with.

Same thing happened to my java fern. It started to turn black and after testing my nitrates, i noticed that my nitrate levels were at 0ppm. due to my frequent water changes insufficient bio-load the nitrate just never had a chance to accumulate. I got curious. i diluted a pinch of it in a small water bottle using the aquarium water and poured 5ml into a test tube. in the other test tube i put 5ml of regular tank water. the tube with the orchid food read off the charts! and the tank water was, of course, 0ppm.

Do you guys think its safe to use this, orchid food, to feed my java ferns?

Im going to start off with a very small dosage and see how much the nitrate levels go up over time. in the meantime, if anyone is familiar with orchid food, please let me know if this is all right. im experimenting this on a tank without fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If the crystals have ammonia as the active agent (or urea) you risk green water. You can always start with dry KNO4 though.

Moved to Tucson.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Is there any urea or ammonia in the ferts? Terrestrial plant supplements usually contain urea.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode