Low kh and ph - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low kh and ph

My kh tested at 1* I never even saw the starting color and my gh was 7*. This seems very low to me. My ph was the lowest color on the chart 6.2 but I suspect it could be lower than that even. I have diy co2 and I have driftwood in my tank. My plants are growing great and my fish are eating well and seem happy. Is my tank in any danger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You should get the kH up to around 3 degrees. That will also raise the pH. Do the change slowly.

I have the info in my Guide on how much to use.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Since your guide says 1tsp in 13ga of water raises kh by 4* and you said to do the change slowly, would it be safe to add 2tsps of baking soda to my 55ga every time I add my macros (3x per week), test and then adjust accordingly?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 01:14 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Add about 1/4 tsp at a time, and test your kH and pH after each addition. Wait 30 min - 60 min after adding before you test. Don't raise the pH more than 0.5 units each day. In my experience, 1/4 tsp will raise your pH about 0.3 units and your kH by 0.2 - 0.5. Two tsp of baking soda will raise your pH almost 2 full units! Don't do that!

Al Light
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Woh, good thing i didn't do that. How long should that last it my tank? Should i gradually increase the amount to get to my desired 3* kh?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you use pressurized CO2 and shut it off at night, the PH will go up as much as one unit by morning. Many of us do that, with no problems. So, I doubt the need to go slowly with raising KH/PH. I do it every water change, and do it by dumping in dissolved baking soda. I probably wouldn't try to raise KH by more than a couple of degrees at a time, but that is hardly going slowly.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode