Best way to lower NO3? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best way to lower NO3?

Does Zeolite helps ? What about ammonia remover ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:18 AM

PTrader: (11/100%)
Hah.. I cant keep nitrates in my tank... *sigh* lets trade water changes.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace
Hah.. I cant keep nitrates in my tank... *sigh* lets trade water changes.
"Let there be fishes!"......do you have fish inside....lol

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
You mean temporarily due to an aquarium problem or regularly due to high NO3 levels in your tap?

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 07:44 AM

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xberia
"Let there be fishes!"......do you have fish inside....lol
I think im overstocked on fish :P
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_alias
You mean temporarily due to an aquarium problem or regularly due to high NO3 levels in your tap?
No captain, none of the above.
I want to keep NO3 low in my newly setup Rotala Macrandra tank. 2.5 footer with 150 MH. I have not put in any fish yet. I am just exploring best alternatives available.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quick answer: 50% Water changes lower your Nitrates by half if your change water is nitrate free.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You can reduce nitrates to near zero if you have fast growing plants in the tank. Plants use up nitrate pretty fast, and the bonus is nice looking plants.

Hoppy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would use the other recommendations first before resorting to chemicals, but the product below does indicate it will remove nitrates among other things. Haven't used it though. Nitrates are the least toxic of the 3 (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), so I am not sure why you think you need to remove them at this point.

What is your nitr-a-te level at the moment?
how about nitr-i-tes and ammonia?

http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...s/Purigen.html
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 08:02 PM

Those Purigen claims are misleading. It doesn't remove nitrate, but rather just the soluble organics which are broken down by nitrifying bacteria into NH4 and then into NO2 and NO3. So *technically* it does reduce nitrates in a sense, but then *technically* so does charcoal.

Purigen is basically artificial charcoal and does the same thing imo.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yep, that is what is says. Like you said, I guess other products would do just as well. "Purigen™ controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds."
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Actually Amquel Plus (PLUS not regular Amquel) is supposed to remove nitrites and nitrates. The reason I use the regular and not the plus. I always have to put the stuff in I sure as heck don't want to use something that's going to take it out!

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami

Last edited by RoseHawke; 04-07-2006 at 12:31 AM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Water changes and plants are the only good ways to remove nitrates.

If you are accumulating nitrates because of waste break-down you are also accumulating other dissolved organic compounds, many of which are more toxic than nitrates, but we can't easily measure them.

Ion exchange resins and nitrate absorbsion units either will not absorb the DOCs, or will which can be worse because they'll also take out the micronutrients necessary for plants or for fish!

Water changes should be done, even if you have to add in nitrates for the plants for the above reasons anyway, so water changes are your best bet for controlling nitrates if they build up.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 01:48 AM

Thanks all for quick feedback.
This species tank is setup with Rotala Macrandra in mind. And I have homemade soil subtrate covered with river sand.

1. Water change - should be minimal to avoid pH shock + to maintain dissolved CO2. My habit is to change water once a week.

2. Fast growing plant - not possible, this is hairgrass + r. macrandra ONLY tank.

3. NO3 is a fertilizer, why keep it low ? - yes, but red plant needs low NO3.

4. Chemical - expensive and might change other water parameter which is undesired.

5. Zeolite - cheap, reusable, won't affect KH, non-toxic, no maintenance.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If I were going to do that I would start the tank with fast growing, cheap stem plants, planning to discard them in favor of the hairgrass and r. macranda after several weeks. That would get your substrate stabilized to some degree, get rid of the substrate caused nitrites, help stop algae from taking over, and let you get the fertilizing routine established. The problem, of course, is that when you pull out the temporary plants you disturb that soil underneath and may start a major algae bloom.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode