Ordering Ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Ordering Ferts

I see there is a lot on this subject but I have a few questions.
I have a 29 gal tank, 60 watts of light. I change water 2 times a week because I have a large fish load and the water gets a little cloudy. Ammonia=0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate is usually 10-20ppm every time I change the water. PH is 7.0 because of the added CO2. My tape water is Hard. I'm all out of my hardness & alkalinity test strips so I need to get some more but I live about 40 miles for the nearest fish store. My plants seem to be a little short on maybe Iron etc. All I've used so far is Tetra FloraPride and Nutrafin Plant Gro which don't seem to be cutting it.
Now with all of these perameters would I still use all this: CSMPlantex1, PotassiumPhosphate, PotassiumSulfate, Nitrate, Flourish Iron, & Flourish?
Also since I am making my order tonight, is there anything else that I should order that would make life a little easier in dosing etc? Thank you so much
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I have that size tank, and I dose KNO3, KH2PO4, CSM+B+extra iron, MgSO4. I got all of them from Gregg Watson - a pound of each, which looks like about a 5 year supply.

You could add Seachem's Excel to that mix and not worry so much about whether the CO2 is enough.

You just barely have enough light for moderate light plants, but low light plants should do very well. I was able to keep plants growing with only 51 watts of NO T8 fluorescent tubes, with a DIY reflector.

Hoppy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

MGS04 - is this because you have soft water?
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What measuring items will I need? Should I order some measuring spoons and bottles from Greg Watson's site?
Please help.
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well because I still don't know what to order for my water type, I'll have to wait until another day.
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 03:49 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
Joe,
I would say order Potassium Phosphate, you have a nice level of Nitrates, and in my opinion you will recieve enough potassium from the potassium phosphate, so you don't need potassium sulfate.
As far as your micros go, I'm not familiar with the Tetra or Nutrafin products to make a suggestion for change, I would maybe go to the Seachem web site and compare analysis between tetra, nutrafin and flourish. I personally use flourish and have great results using it.
If the measuring spoons and bottles make your dosing easier I would say buy them. I personally use my empty 250ml seachem bottles and a basic set of measuring spoons from a kitychen supply store to get the job done.
And yes Hoppy probably doses MGS04 because he has soft water, you don't, so you don't need it.
Also, you may want to get a PO4 test kit as well to see what you already have in the tank water

Pete

Last edited by Pete City; 04-06-2006 at 05:41 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I mix equal parts of MgSO4 and CSM+B+ extra iron in my 250 ml "micros" bottle with water - 2 teaspoons of each, as I recall, and dose about 5 - 7 ml every other day. It's very little added magnesium, but probably enough if my water is short of magnesium. My water was KH=6, GH=7 last night, and I add a half tsp of baking soda every 50% water change to get the KH up above the 2 or so I get from the tap. It may not be necessary, but, again, it gives me assurance that low KH wont be a problem.

Hoppy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 02:55 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete City
Joe,
I would say order Potassium Phosphate, you have a nice level of Nitrates, and in my opinion you will recieve enough potassium from the potassium phosphate,
Pete
I thought if you have to much PO4 that it would cause and algea bloom? so i have been staying away from potassium phosphate
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 05:02 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fish Guru
I thought if you have to much PO4 that it would cause and algea bloom? so i have been staying away from potassium phosphate
Old way of thinking, Tom Barr has put this myth to rest. PO4 is one of the major macro ferts needed. Most hobbyists test for it then adjust accordingly, target levels seem to be around 1 to 2ppm, I've honestly had as much as 10ppm with no problem because of weekly water changes.
You can read all about ti here.

Pete

http://www.barrreport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode