now a KH/GH question- very high! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
now a KH/GH question- very high!

I finallly went and got a GH and KH test.

Well, the GH came up 160, (water plant said the total hardness was 140- I'm thinking this is the same thing). Well, figured it was higher than the 140 cause we get those orange deposits in our shower.

Then the KH test came out 110. Isn't that major high? The booklet just says it's an excellent buffer. But it seems that most sites show fish compatability with under 20 KH. Is 110 bad?

Thanks. fyi it was a test tube kit and had to do each drop separately. Took 11 drops to get the KH color to change, and 8 drops for the GH to change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
We usually discuss GH and KH in terms of "degrees of hardness", and all test kits I have heard of determne that by the number of drops to change the color of the water sample. So, you have KH = 11 and GH = 8, which is a little unusual because GH is usually the higher one. But neither is enough to worry about except for very few plants. One thing high KH does, that I don't like, is make the PH with CO2 added still high enough to have a test color very much like the no-CO2 color, making it hard to determine the amount of CO2 in the water.

Hoppy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
We really need to know the brand of test kit.

You have given us conflicting info.

Some test kits measure in degrees and others in PPM. Most commonly in the hobby we use degrees.

To convert from ppm to degrees you would divide ppm by 17.9.

So the numbers you have given us really don't add up. Unless you have some strange test kit that measures kH in ppm in 10 ppm increments and gH in ppm in 20 degree increments.

That would be a very strange test kit since everyone I have ever seen either use 1 degree or 10 ppm per drop.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 01:28 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Change 25 percent every 2 days and this time use distilled water or R/O water. i did that and my gH/kH is around 3-4.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
The test is by Nutrafin / Hagen. Says Carbonate and General Hardness Test (KH/GH) for Fresh & Salt Water.

and ya, I did have to times the KH by 10 and the GH by 20. Here's exactly what it said to do.

KH
"Multiply the total number of drops by 10 to determine the general hardness in mg/L (ppm) as calcium carbonate (CaCO3)."

GH
"Multiply the total number of drops by 20 to determine the General Hardness in mg/L (ppm) as calcium carbonate (CaCO3)"

Now that I read these again, I'm thinking they misprinted the KH where it said "to determine the general hardness", it should have said carbonate hardness.

On the back it shows it again saying.

GH
"multiply the total number of drops used by 20 to determine General hardness."

KH
"multiply the number of drops used by 10 to determine Carbonate Hardness."

It does give a conversion table for the GH/KH for 5 others like fH and Clark H and dH... and as a matter of fact for dH it says take the GH (ppm) times .056 for the dH and that's almost exactly the same as Rex Grigg's divide by 17.9. So that would give me a dH of 6.16 or 6.145 or would it I use the GH 160 x .056 (160 / 17.9) for an answer of 8.96 or 8.938.

Hoppy, what you said makes sense too. KH=11 GH=8

Sunkyokim...isn't using distilled water bad? that is essencially "dead" water, but the R/O water is useful.

Okay guys, let me know if you understand all that, or if I just made everything more confusing!
Thanks!!!!! I feel a little better now, I think I'm probably in the ok range now
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 05:09 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have the same Hagen test also. If I remember well they told me the same thing. Divide it by 17.9.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode