Nitrate in tap water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nitrate in tap water

Hi all,

I am having troubles with having Nitrate in my actuall tap water!

I have noticed for a while that no matter how many water chages I did I allways had Nitrate in my tank. So I decided to test my tap water and to my horro found that it had quite hight Nitrate coming from it (about 10 - 20 ppm). I have been having trouble of late getting my plants to look really healthy and I feel it might be due to this as well. Gus (a member here too) who lives near me does not have this problem with his tap water so I am guessing old pipes that are causing this.

Anyway does anyone know of how to remove Nitrate from your tap water? I know you can do this with a RO water filter and I am looking at getting one when I can afford to, but as they are expensive I was wondering what I could do in the mean time.

Any help much appriciated, Cheers....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Nitrate is one of the macro nutrients for plants, meaning that plants consume them in relatively large amounts. Most of us have to dose on a weekly or daily basis. I'd consider it a plus if the tap water comes with 10 - 20 ppm nitrates for free. Removing them would be counterproductive if you want to make plants grow.

I would suggest to look somewhere else if you have trouble with plant growth. Light, CO2 being important factors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Ok.

I did have quite blue bulbs with my AquaOne light fitting. They where meant to be 10,000K but I think they where more like 20,000K. I have been replacing the bulbs and this has helped.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Ok I went to my LFS and found a few things out what might make sense.

He told me that with PH probs they can have a tendancy he find to read lower then what the PH actually is if there is quite a lot of Nitrogeon in the water. Now I have very bad Nitrate levels at present what I am working on reducing that are 110 PPM what is crazy. This should help to fix a few issues he thinks. Also I might have a Potassium issue (not enough) and looking at changing some dosages on my fertz to help this. Also I have got a much more full on test kit what will allow me to test for Phosphates and lots of other things as well now.

I hope this might help me.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 06:20 AM

PTrader: (11/100%)
If your nitrate levels are that high, then you need some fast growing stems, some good CO2 and some nice lights and your tank will explode and you will be posting begging people to please come take some plants off you
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jastormont
Now I have very bad Nitrate levels at present what I am working on reducing that are 110 PPM what is crazy. This should help to fix a few issues he thinks.
Water changes, reduced stocking and feeding go a long way. The rest is taken care of by plants.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Ok I have got a fix.

I do not under stand this but if I use my garden hose out the front it has no Nitrate what so ever compared to the tap in the house. I have used this with a 25% water change and has reduced it quite a bit. I have also put in some more Stem plants as well what should help as I need some more plants in there.

This has also helped with my PH prob and must prove that hi Nitrate in the tank does affect how accurate the PH probe reads. It is now reading the PH correctly and inserting CO2 gas again, so this will hopefully bring the plants back to life again.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
No Nitrates at all

I have no Nitrates and my tank has been set up for about three months now.

20 Gallon High
A H 55 Watt 6700 k Bulb
EHEIM 2215
50 Watt Heater
Hagen ladder - DIY 2 liter
Eco complete(2 bag)

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds11375
I have no Nitrates and my tank has been set up for about three months now.
If you truly have no nitrates in your tank, your plants are not growing. And any PH probe that will not read accurately with 10 to 20 ppm of nitrate in the tank is of no use for planted aquaria.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode