Blown Out CO2 Drop Checker Liquid - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Blown Out CO2 Drop Checker Liquid

A little while ago I set up a pressurized CO2 system, consisting of a 5 pound CO2 tank, a Milwaukee regulator with bubble counter and solenoid, a ceramic disk diffuser, and a drop checker for good measure. For the first little while (over a couple of days) the drop checker stayed blue. I kept increasing the bubbles per second trying to nudge the dissolved CO2 upwards. I guess I nudged to much and my drop checker turned bright yellow. I turned down the CO2 and waited a couple of hours but the drop checker stayed yellow. I turned the CO2 off waited a couple of hours again and the liquid remained yellow. I performed a number of water changes and added an airstore and the drop checker remained yellow. I pulled the drop checker out of the aquarium and placed it on my desk, where it sat and remained yellow for 2 weeks until it finally turned blue again. At no point during this time did the fish show any sighs of stress that might be associated with excess CO2. So I'm curious if anyone has ever "blown out" (for lack of a better term) their CO2 drop checker? Has your liquid refused to return to the blue colour?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sometimes I wish my hobby didn't involve water
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Are you using 4dkh water?

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
+1 on 4dkh solution

When it sat on the desk, was it resting on the opening which would block airflow?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I followed the directions which just said use tank water. I know that wouldn't give me an accurate result but I don't see why it would be SOOO inaccurate for so long. When it sat on the desk it sat on its side to allow for air flow. I'm really just curious if this has happened to anyone else.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)
If you don't use some kind of standard or known solution, you really can't tell with any accuracy how much CO2 is in the tank. It seems like you have some buffers in your water which would explain why there was a sudden increase from a higher pH with the blue coloration to a lower pH with the yellow coloration.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Planted Member

you need a 4dkh solution to get an accurate co2 reading. where you using the solutions with the green cap that comes with the drop checker? if yes, don't use it. find your self a 4dkh solution
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemadepopcorn View Post
If you don't use some kind of standard or known solution, you really can't tell with any accuracy how much CO2 is in the tank. It seems like you have some buffers in your water which would explain why there was a sudden increase from a higher pH with the blue coloration to a lower pH with the yellow coloration.

That would make sense about the sudden color change having to do with a buffer. But I'm just curious what would cause it to stay neon yellow like that for so long even after it was pulled out of the tank.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Don't quote me on this but I think that the lag time for CO2 diffusion is around 2 hours; it won't degas immediately.

Your two two weeks though is a little crazy... Was the opening covered?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
it sounds to me like you got some co2 bubbles in your drop checker raising the co2 count in the air space far above what it should have been. Co2 will sink in regular air so you may have just had enough trapped that it took a couple of days to be thinned out enough, especially if you left the drop checker sitting base down on a desk so there was no way for air to move in an out of the drop checker.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSquid View Post
it sounds to me like you got some co2 bubbles in your drop checker raising the co2 count in the air space far above what it should have been. Co2 will sink in regular air so you may have just had enough trapped that it took a couple of days to be thinned out enough, especially if you left the drop checker sitting base down on a desk so there was no way for air to move in an out of the drop checker.
The drop checker was sitting on its side to allow for air flow, but it makes sense that the heavier then air CO2 would be in contact with the drop checker liquid even in this position based on its funny shape. I'm going to assume this is what happened. Curiosity cured. Thanks

Tags
co2, co2 drop checker, drop checker, drop checker fluid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode