red sea phosphate 1 10.00%
red sea iron,and co2 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Arrg test kits! wich one works ?

hi im looking into test kits for iron and phosphate! as you all know there are soo many. Some are rediculously expensive. some people report they don't work properly. im going to start this poll and a thread it is open to any comments, past experiences, opinions and remember this is a bang for your buck idea. Obviousily a test kit that costs 21.00 is most likely better than one that costs 12.00. but if the 21.00 one has only 50 tests and the 12.00 kit has 150 theres a difference!

here are the stats

Hagen phosphate kit 11.00 cdn
75 tests

aquarium pharmicuticals phosphate ( personally my choice because im framilliar with this brand.... alll my test kits are by them.)

cost 12.99
150 tests

red sea phosphte test
60 tests

sea chem phosphate
over 75 tests

now onto iron

hagen iron ( tests for chleated and normal )

red sea plant care ( includes iron and c02 and a test of aqua flora i dont have a c02 one )
does not say how many tests
does not say if it tests for chleated

sea chem iron ( tests for chleated and normal )
over 75 kits

thanks for your time sorry about the poll i cant figure out how to edit it! i wanted to give you two options! i tried to update options but it wont let you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Which are we supposed to be voting for, iron or phospate? You need to separate out the questions IMO. And when you separate them, one option needs to be "None".

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.

Last edited by scolley; 03-28-2006 at 05:33 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Forget getting an iron kit, they're pretty much worthless. As far as phosphates, LaMotte or Hach would be my recommendation. If you go a cheaper route, I would be sure to use a known standard solution everytime you use it.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had a Redsea phosphate kit that didn't work.
It always showed almost zero phosphate, even with some extreme test solutions I made up.

I really didn't like it either. It required mixing a thick liquid, "gently" in a test test tube.

I switched to a Seachem and I like it.
Mixing is done in a little dish.
Results are fast and colours are reasonable to interpret.

You can get the Seachem cheaper online than the price you stated.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Lamotte...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yes i cant seem to edit the poll i have no way of getting test kits through the internet....parents so these are the only ones i can get i cant get lamotte or hach sorry about the poll.... if a moderator could help me out that would be great...... or someone else who knows how to do it thanks! i believe im going to go aquarium pharicuticals for phosphate but has anyone had bad/good experences with them? tanks alot!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Forget the iron... kits too unreliable for that. Though clearly some of the don't always work, as state here, I swear by my Red Sea Phosphate kit just because I find the colors to be easy to read/interpret.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 07:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have no problems with the Seachem Iron test kit. I keep reading everywhere "Iron test kits are worthless" but I'm not seeing that on my end.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 09:28 AM

Lamotte or nothing.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 05:15 PM
Planted Member

Only my opinion...

Most of the brands/tests perform reasonably well. Some tests are harder to interpret than others. That primarily depends on the test, not the brand. For all the tests, it is extremely important to follow the directions exactly as stated.

Also regarding the number of tests vs. price, some of the tests only last about a year. I test quite often, but I have never run out of the test supplies before I figured I should buy new ones. Maybe your experience is different.

Suggestion. I read your post, but you need to have your parents purchase the tests online for you. You can save a little dough. That always makes parents happy. If you come across a test kit (say AP pH for instance) and you find it doesn't 'work' for you, buy a different pH test next time...but still use AP for the other ones. Don't spend so much time sweating over the choices. Buy a major brand, try it, decide, learn. There is hardly any substitution for experience.

For those people that answer LaMotte, I wonder if you have actually used them...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I voted for the AP phosphate test kit. But, I like ot qualify my vote. It is accurate enough for my purpose of checking when something starts to go wrong. But, for higher levels and exact ppm, it is worhtless.

I have seen the LaMotte kit and it works well.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks for the responses at the fish store i got some help from a person who has greatily helped with alll my tanks he said go with seachem for iron and ap for phosphate so i tested i had a bit of a time with phosphate but i decided it was between 0-0.5 as for iron im pretty lost i did a refrence test an i see a bit of yellow so it must be working and i must not have too much iron so ill have to dose also what is the proper level for phosphate?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Planted Member

For the Seachem iron test, check out the thread from Naja002

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/wa...t-seachem.html
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Reference the post linked above. There is No Yellow. That is just Iron to use to make up reference-test water....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay
For those people that answer LaMotte, I wonder if you have actually used them...
Yup, PO4 and NO3. I'm looking to get a GH and KH set sometime soon too. They're definately on the high end of things price-wise, but still only a small percentage of what I've spent on my setup. IMO, they're worth every penny of it. Once I had accurate readings I got my tank settled into the 'sweet spot' pretty quickly. If you're more experienced than me at reading deficiencies from looking at the plants, you probably wouldn't need any kits at all, but for now, this was a great investment.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode