Help explain this pH rise!?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help explain this pH rise!?!

I decided last night that it might be a good idea to test my tap water parameters - just to see what's coming out (and ultimately, what's going into my tank). I did three consecutive pH tests, first I tested the tap water, then the "treated" water, and then the tank water (one day after 50% water change).

The results:

Tap: 7.0
Treated: 7.5
Tank: 7.5

The treated water contains Aquaplus tap water conditioner (to remove chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals) and aquarium salts - it had been sitting out for 24 hours.

The tank is supposed to be blackwater - I use a blackwater extract, peat filter and driftwood.

The problem seems to be with either the Aquaplus or the salt (or both!). I have only ever tested the tank water and it's consistently been at 7.5, even with the blackwater treatments & pH Down which I used during cycling.

I've been using Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kits. I would like to lower my pH to at least 7.0, since all of the fish I keep (rams, rasboras, corys) are "low" pH fish. If it's of any consequence, I do not use CO2 but instead dose with excel every other day.

Any thoughts!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

jbot:

In my experience, rams are more sensitive to soft/hard than specific pH.

If you are using aquarium salts, blackwater extract, peat filter, & pH Down all at once I am not suprised that you water is wonky.

If your tap water is nice and soft like Seattle I would recomend cutting back on the number of things you dump in you tank and enjoy soft water. Since you are not running CO2 you can be less concerned about a pH crash at low KH.

Moved to Tucson.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Nope.... have responded and found many a thread on this. It is very likely not any of your water conditioners etc doing this.

For some reason, something about the presure in the water taps, bla-bla-bla science stuff, the co2 is higher or some such, and it makes water straight from the tap artificially low. As the co2 releases from the water (while your conditioners are at work) the pH returns to what the water really is.

I would be very causious of adding any pH down to the tank (as I have done it and much later it seemed to cause horrible pH crashes). I would keep with the peat to lower it, and go with that, though most people here might tell you to go with co2 to lower it (no expert in that department).

I have found that it is more important to keep level pH than a perfect pH. Which seems to be good in your tank. Don't know... maybe others will have better suggestions.

In any case, if you want to test the science, set out a bucket of water with no conditioners in it for 24hrs and test it. I am pretty sure it will also read as 7.5

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.... I'd like to clarify that I only added pH Down during the original cycle and have not added it for months now after realizing the risks!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
For some reason, something about the presure in the water taps, bla-bla-bla science stuff, the co2 is higher or some such, and it makes water straight from the tap artificially low. As the co2 releases from the water (while your conditioners are at work) the pH returns to what the water really is.
Your logic makes sense to me. I'll try leaving unconditioned water out.

Quote:
I have found that it is more important to keep level pH than a perfect pH. Which seems to be good in your tank. Don't know... maybe others will have better suggestions.
Yeah, I've heard that a stable pH is best. I'm not overly concerned by this as everyone in the tank is healthy, happy and well-coloured. So I'll likely keep things status quo.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode