just got my dry ferts....need some help on estimates! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
just got my dry ferts....need some help on estimates!

Well I finally got my supply of Greg Watson dry ferts yesterday and have spent all day searching and reading up on mixing, dosing schedules, target levels and I am honestly a little overwhemled with all the different methods and fert dosing schedules I have seen....there is alot of stuff out there! Anyways, I need some help on figuring out how and what to dose on certain days for my particular tank.

I have the basic ferts from greg watson...minus the trace/micro/iron. I meant to order it but I will wait until my next order to get it so I dont have to spend all that money on shipping for one fert. What should I use in the meantime for my Trace/micro/Iron? Flourish line seems to be the most talked about...but which one? Excel, Equilibrium, iron, ?????? If I am dosing my Macros on M,W,F,Sun should I dose the micors and iron on Tues, Thurs,Sat,?

I have gone to the calculator and messed with it some to see what I can decipher and here is a sample of what I ran through it.

Example of my dosing nitrate in solution:
12 tsp of KNO3 dissolved into 250ml of water will give me a solution of 1ml=1.5ppm of nitrate. So if my target goal of 5.5 ppm nitrate per week then I would need to dose 4 ml of solution over the course of 7 days (50% WC on Sunday)or 1 Ml on Mon, Wed, Fri, and Sun ( before WC)

Does this sound right...if so, this formula is the same for each nutes depending on PPM and target levels for each correct?

so like 13 tsp of Potassium into 250ml gives me a solution of 1ml=1.03 ppm of Potass..target goal for the week is 15-20 ppm...that would require 2ml of Solution on Mon, Wed, Fri, and Sun(prior to WC) to get my target goal of just a little over 20ppm? Sound correct?

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated...my plants are in need of some goodies! Current readings
29 Gallon, 80 Watts Flo, DIY Co2, Penguin 350.....

Fish =
2 Half Dollar sized Angels
2 Juvenile Bolivian Blue Rams
4 White cloud minnows
4 Ruby Barbs (These will be out of the tank on 4-5-06, along with the snails or the Frog)
1 ADF
2 mystery snails
2 Amano shrimp

PH - 7.0
GH - 10 degree
KH - 5 degree
Nitrates - 10ppm
Amm - .25 ppm
Nitritite - .25ppm
Phospahte - SKY HIGH 10+ PPM (Possibly add Epsom salt to balance the Ca-Mg levels?)

The Ammonia and Nitrites have just reared its head...both read 0 just a day ago. I removed two Gouramis and replaced them with two Juvenile Bolivian Blue rams two days ago..would that cause the small Amm-Nitrite jump? Gotta watch these levels..I dont want my new rams getting stressed this early in the tank...it has been about 5 days since 60% Water change...try another WC to drop the Amm and Nitrite.? I think my fish load is a little bit to high for the amount of plants I currently have in there..but hopefully when I remove those 5 or six it will help even it out some. The tank has only been up an running for almost 2 weeks...things looking good besides my plants are starting to look like they could use some of those nutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Dose KNO3 dry into the tank.

2.8 grams or 0.5 teaspoons will give you around 18 ppm.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 12:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can often find trace element mix at a local hydroponics store. Dose micros on days that you do not dose P (as you outlined above).

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you buy a trace element mix, other than one made for planted aquaria, watch out for too much copper in it. I don't know the limit on copper, but I do know that many trace mixes for terrestrial plants contain too much.

Hoppy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 06:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Hi D,

That is going to be a high load for a 29, but a good way to break in a new tank fast, may cost ya some critter's, but thats easy enough to fix, buy more The Angel's will soon out grow the 29, trade them for some Cardinal's or neon's or Rummynose, keep the pair of Ram's though

You will need either Flourish Comprehensive supplement, along with Flourish Iron, TMG, or Plantex+B, personally I would bite the bullet and order from Greg, Plantex CSB+B, 10% Iron Chelate, you need a trace element, just as much as you need the N03. P04, K+,
80w is alot on a 29.
You are complicating it with all the mix, toss the test kit's, its best not to even use them on the tank until you know how.. do test the tap though to get a generalization of your water source.

Dose mAcro's dry, just toss each one in, it is okay to do so.
1/4Tsp KN03
1/16+Tsp KH2P04
1/16+K2S04
8ml Trace/Flourish Comprehensive, or Plantex CSM mixed 1 Tablespoon to 250ml H20
3ml Fe/ either Florish Iron or 10% Chelate-mixed 1 Tablespoon to 250ml H20.
All 3x a week, 50%H20 change weekly,
If/When you start running into algae issue's reduce the lighting a bit, raise it higher from the tank or unplug a bulb etc...Light is the driving force, C02 also needs to be kept optimal with that much light.

Maybe now you are just whemled...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieYams
Well I finally got my supply of Greg Watson dry ferts yesterday and have spent all day searching and reading up on mixing, dosing schedules, target levels and I am honestly a little overwhemled with all the different methods and fert dosing schedules I have seen....there is alot of stuff out there! Anyways, I need some help on figuring out how and what to dose on certain days for my particular tank.

I have the basic ferts from greg watson...minus the trace/micro/iron. I meant to order it but I will wait until my next order to get it so I dont have to spend all that money on shipping for one fert. What should I use in the meantime for my Trace/micro/Iron? Flourish line seems to be the most talked about...but which one? Excel, Equilibrium, iron, ?????? If I am dosing my Macros on M,W,F,Sun should I dose the micors and iron on Tues, Thurs,Sat,?

I have gone to the calculator and messed with it some to see what I can decipher and here is a sample of what I ran through it.

Example of my dosing nitrate in solution:
12 tsp of KNO3 dissolved into 250ml of water will give me a solution of 1ml=1.5ppm of nitrate. So if my target goal of 5.5 ppm nitrate per week then I would need to dose 4 ml of solution over the course of 7 days (50% WC on Sunday)or 1 Ml on Mon, Wed, Fri, and Sun ( before WC)

Does this sound right...if so, this formula is the same for each nutes depending on PPM and target levels for each correct?

so like 13 tsp of Potassium into 250ml gives me a solution of 1ml=1.03 ppm of Potass..target goal for the week is 15-20 ppm...that would require 2ml of Solution on Mon, Wed, Fri, and Sun(prior to WC) to get my target goal of just a little over 20ppm? Sound correct?

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated...my plants are in need of some goodies! Current readings
29 Gallon, 80 Watts Flo, DIY Co2, Penguin 350.....

Fish =
2 Half Dollar sized Angels
2 Juvenile Bolivian Blue Rams
4 White cloud minnows
4 Ruby Barbs (These will be out of the tank on 4-5-06, along with the snails or the Frog)
1 ADF
2 mystery snails
2 Amano shrimp

PH - 7.0
GH - 10 degree
KH - 5 degree
Nitrates - 10ppm
Amm - .25 ppm
Nitritite - .25ppm
Phospahte - SKY HIGH 10+ PPM (Possibly add Epsom salt to balance the Ca-Mg levels?)

The Ammonia and Nitrites have just reared its head...both read 0 just a day ago. I removed two Gouramis and replaced them with two Juvenile Bolivian Blue rams two days ago..would that cause the small Amm-Nitrite jump? Gotta watch these levels..I dont want my new rams getting stressed this early in the tank...it has been about 5 days since 60% Water change...try another WC to drop the Amm and Nitrite.? I think my fish load is a little bit to high for the amount of plants I currently have in there..but hopefully when I remove those 5 or six it will help even it out some. The tank has only been up an running for almost 2 weeks...things looking good besides my plants are starting to look like they could use some of those nutes.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode