Dosing regimine all to crud... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
Dosing regimine all to crud...

Hi all,
This will be some what of a long thread so sorry in advance

A few months ago I completely reaquascaped everything in my tank. I originally had fast growers in there witht he first set up. Everything from sunset hygro, glosso,dwarf hygro, l. aromantica, didiplis diandra,rotala indica, stargrass, japainca, r. macrandra, and A.reinecikii "roseafolia".
These plants sucked up the nutirents in the water like crazy!
My dosing regiminewas laid out like this:
1/2 tsp KNO3 3xweekly
1/8tsp KH2PO4 3xweekly
1/4K2SO4 3xweekly
Trace and iron in between 20ml of csm+b and 4-5mlof iron
All these are GW fertz dosing dry witht he exception of the trace and iron.

With my new tank layout I have switch to a more slow pace growth with plants. I currently have weeping moss, anubias nana, nana petite, java fern, dwarf hair grass, giant hygro, r. macrandra, hemianthus micranthemoides,
downi, L. grandulosa, giant hairgrass, reinecikii "roseafolia,
dwarf hygro, and japanica.
Well, most are slow growers.

Now with this new line up I am experianceing a completely new trend with dosing nutirents. My trace and iron are pretty much the same.

I dose at water change 1/4tsp per 10 gallons, 1/2 tsp nitrate only with water change, and 1/8 tsp of phosphate only with water change. This is because my nitrate stays steady throughout the week at a good 10ppm. My phosphate ont the other hand hovers around 3-4ppm. It slighty climbs as the week goes on. I dose the high K because I am affriad of there being a lack of it since I am not dosing as before.

Should I do more water changes during the week to help bring down the phosphates? I am also battling thread/hair algae and wondering if it is beacuse of the phosphate to nitrate ratio(3-4/10). Also experiance weird brown algae growth on my glass. It has the same feature as GSA. Along with these algae I am still getting GSA! Any comments? Maybe I should vacume the grass lawn to help rid of excess food left over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 12:17 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I would cut down on the PO4 dosing, I think 0.5 - 1 ppm is plenty. Instead of doing more water changes to remove what you are overdosing, dose less (sounds obvious)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Why am I still getting GSA on plants though? With a higher phosphate level shouldnt that rid of the GSA?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Are these real?

Our tanks are too complex for simple recipes...

Low P = GSA
Low CO2 = BBA
Low N = BGA

etc... doesn't work that way, unfortunately. Every tank is different, and what works for one doesn't help someone else.

With your slower growers you might need to bring down overall nutrient levels.

Sorry I can't think of anything else right now... Maybe someone else will chime in.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 07:16 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
I disagree with Wasserpest a bit. I think the answers are pretty much found in the "receipe". I think the problem is testing that is in error.
I may have missed it by what is your CO2 level and how did you arrive at the number. I think that after one knows that then advice can be given on the rest. Also what type of tests did you use to get the P and N numbers.

JR
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Co2 levels are at the 50(i think) sum range with a ph of 6.8-.9 and KH of 13(drops). I use the calculator on chukcs page for co2 levels. I have pushe the co2 levels as far as they can go without killing my fish.

I am using aquairum pharm. test kits for my KNO3 and KH2PO4. Both were bought just a week ago.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 09:22 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
I would first question the CO2 levels. Many are seeing that the chart is way off. Maybe check it with the degassed method. Simply let a sample of tank water degass for 48hrs. which we will assume brings you to 0ppm co2. check the PH. every full drop is approx. 30ppm.
So in mine the degass PH is 7.7 so 6.7 is 30PPM and on.
I run down to around 50ppm before BBA stopped coming back.
Test kits are very often very misleading at best. I don't use them. Only why I could beat GSA was to up P04 to a dosing leverl higher than seemed correct.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
how do you degas the water to bring CO2 to 0ppm?

Eheim pimp club #48
Specs:
800L 100% Flourite
80L plant/shrimps nursery tank inconnected with the main tank
Total 600W HQI, 2 X 5200K 2 X 6500K
Eheim 2028 X 2 2080 X 1
Dupla Substrate Heater
Dupla S external reactor
Aquamedic 2hp & Teco R15 400W chillers
Sega pH Controller

Light period: 6 hours on each bulb across 12 hours
Water Parameters: pH 6.4, KH 2, GH 1, NO3 40, PO4 1 TDS 250
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Are these real?

Just let it stand. Or give it a good shake once in a while to equalize CO2 level with the surrounding air.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode