What is wrong with my water/setup? Some Nute Help? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
What is wrong with my water/setup? Some Nute Help?

I have had my planted tank up and running for a little under a week now. Everything seems to be ok except for I have very cloudy water even after a %50 water change...thinking it is the start of something bad in the tank..but not sure...it looks like a milky cloud basically throughout the tank. I added some water clear/conditoner but it did nothing to clear the fog. I have also been using a product from my LFS called "Stability" basically it says it is a bacterial growth aid for new aquariums that you add to the water once a day for 7 days to help encourage and establish intial good bacteria formation.

I have done some research on cloudy water and have gotten a few different perspectives on what it is and how to cure it but none that are specific. Most say it is an algae bloom, or the first sings of GW and to fix it I should try to balance out my nutes (micro & macro..I am only using micro now with added iron I believe) or UV filter or diatom filter. I would like learn the natural balance of my tank without having to introduce a diatom filter or uv filter.. So what i would like to know is what other nutes are needed on top of my regular micronutes. I know macronutes are needed but which ones? are the liquid or solid forms better? I know there are over the counter products that provide these nutirents as well such as ( stump remover, enema fluid etc..) what are they. Basically any help on getting my nutes balanced out with the right amount of micro/macro and getting rid of this terrible cloudy water, ts not fun to watch your fish swim around in a cloud. below are my current readings and setup.

( I have been checking the PH for the past few days religiously to measure the drop of PH caused by the additon of the Co2--it dropped from 7.0 to about 6.6 within the first 2 days of adding Co2...have since added 1/8 tsp of baking soda(supposed to help level out PH due to KH levels???)and also some PH up. The PH has slowly risen and looks to be at just about 6.8 or a little over as of today.

below are my current readings and setup

29 Gallon Glass
Marineland dual output Penguin 350, 300 GPH, bio-wheel
80 watts Floro tubes, 3 daylight and 1 Phillips "warm" color tube
DIY 1 Gallon jello jug Co2 Reactor and diffuser...around 85-90bpm
100 watt heater

Fish:

2 Angels
4 White Cloud Danios
4 Ruby Barbs
2 African Dwarf frogs
2 Dwarf Gourami
2 mystery snails

As of this morning

Temp = 78-80f
PH=6.8
.25 Ammonia
.50 Nitrite
5.0 Nitrate

KH/GH test kit on its way....WHAT OTHER WATER TEST KITS WILL I NEED AS WELL?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 06:58 PM

Do you know what cycling is? Are you aware you have stocked your tank WAY too quickly? Id really get your ammonia down and watch it as it's soon going to rocket. You should of done your homework before you started this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livebearer101
Do you know what cycling is? Are you aware you have stocked your tank WAY too quickly? Id really get your ammonia down and watch it as it's soon going to rocket. You should of done your homework before you started this.
I thought I had done my homework..apparently not. I was told NOT to try to cycle the tank without fish in it...they are supposed to help that right? My ammonia has been at zero all week prior to my test this morning...as well as Nitrite being 0 all week..the nitrates have been steady at the current readings. Well considering that I did not "do my homework" on this I think I faired pretty well. Out of all the fish only two white cloud danios died..which I think is a small fish thing...I always lose one or two tetras or danios when putting into new tank regardless of the set-up...maybe its just me. The plants are all growing new leaves and getting stronger everyday. The only issue I have had is the cloudy water and not knowing exaclty what other nutes and water tests I need....

any help other than "do your homework" from Mr. Know it all above would be greatly appreciated.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I suggest reading http://www.rexgrigg.com/ and seeing if your questions are answered there. My initial impression is that you are adding too many LFS nostrums without really understanding what might be happening in the tank. If I were to run into this I hope I would do a 80% or so water change, after studying Rex's guide, and make sure I had lots of fast growing stem plants in the tank, then just wait a week to see what develops. At most I would, as I did, add KNO3 - 1/4 tsp, KH2PO4 - 1/16 tsp, and a day later a few ml of trace element mix, with added iron.

Hoppy
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
While Livebearer is correct he was also not very helpful. You're fish load is to the point that you're plants cannot uptake all of the waste. That is why you have ammonia and nitrites in your tank. You have a couple of options. My suggestion would be to get more plants and put them your tank. Hopefully this will cause the ammonia and nitrite levels to go down to zero where they are supposed to be. Also if you have a friend with an established tank you can take a handful of gravel and put it in a fine mesh bag and then put it into your filter. This will help to seed your filter and tank with beneficial bacteria. I'm not sure exactly what "stability" is but if it isn't bacteria then it probably isn't helping. All the other "fixes" like UV sterilizer and diatom filter aren't fixing the problem just eliminating the symptom and I wouldn't recommend them at this time.

Brian

Eheim Pimp #134
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

"stability" is bacteria in liquid form made by seachem..so dont see that being a problem. 6 of the fish in the tank now where moved there from an established 10 gallon already. I made sure to place the already established filter media and the bio wheel from that tank into the new filter of the 29 gallon to help colonate my bacteria. I also used most of the water from it in the first fill-up as well../.supposed to help the bacteria. Guess it did not do much huh. I will try A 80% WC and see where that gets me.... I already have 12 plants in my tank as it is..not much room for many more.

readings as of 7:00 this evening:

PH = 7.0
Amm= 0.25
Nitrite=.50
Nitrate=10

My Nitrate went up....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Well I did a 80% water change last night and made sure to let the tap water settle and when I refilled it was sure to use a big cup and pour it in slowly as not to disturb to much stuff......the water looks 85% better and is mostly clear..much better! I woke up this morning and took some readings and they are just about right where they should be..Nitirite needs to be down a little more but other than that it looks good. I will hold off on feeding for a day or two as stated above and give you an update when the goodies below arrive.

My new glas bell co2 Diffuser, Dry bulk nutes from greg watson, and my KH/GH test kit should be here within a day or two....

Readings:

PH=6.8
Amm= 0ppm
Nitritite= .25 ppm
Nitrate= 10 ppm
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
One thing we all left out is the chlorine/chloramine problem with tap water. You do need something like Amquel or Prime to eliminate that when you do a water change. The fish can be killed by the ammonia from the chloramine or the chlorine.

Hoppy
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

I use a water conditioner that removes chlorine and breaks the chloromine bond so that should be ok....I would never just dump tap water into any fish tank.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandmiles
While Livebearer is correct he was also not very helpful. You're fish load is to the point that you're plants cannot uptake all of the waste. That is why you have ammonia and nitrites in your tank. You have a couple of options. My suggestion would be to get more plants and put them your tank. Hopefully this will cause the ammonia and nitrite levels to go down to zero where they are supposed to be. Also if you have a friend with an established tank you can take a handful of gravel and put it in a fine mesh bag and then put it into your filter. This will help to seed your filter and tank with beneficial bacteria. I'm not sure exactly what "stability" is but if it isn't bacteria then it probably isn't helping. All the other "fixes" like UV sterilizer and diatom filter aren't fixing the problem just eliminating the symptom and I wouldn't recommend them at this time.

Brian
meh, cant say much to argue with that. Sometimes the rant makes you forget what you actually started the post for. It happens - sorry dude and good luck with your tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode