New tank parameters - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm a planted tank newbie and I just recently filled and set up my first tank. I am concerned about the following water parameters (day 4 or so after initial set up):

dKH: 5-6
dGH: 5-6
pH: ~7.7
CO2 (from test): 5-6ppm

I am currently running a DIY 2-liter bottle yeast generator with a ceramic diffuser. However, this tank contains a trickling waterfall and some surface agitation (no splashing). So...how the heck can I increase the CO2 levels in my tank? I'm trying to grow glosso (which will probably fail, given my water parameters)...anyway, I'd like to push the CO2 levels up to 10 ppm at the very least.

Any advice would be great--thanks!

^iMp^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
How big is this tank?

FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

20 gallon tank with a 5 gallon sump...but neither are completely filled (its a paludarium). I'd say that there is about 10 gallons of water in the system.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 11:18 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
A water fall??? I would think it will be very hard to get the CO2 levels up, if this trickling water fall is part of the system... Maybe less demanding plants?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 01:20 AM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
One possibility, seal the lid on the tank tightly and a high concentration of CO2 will build up in the air in the tank which will lead to more CO2 being dissolved in the water due to the increased partial pressure of CO2 in the tank’s atmosphere.

Another choice would be to try to push the already dissolved CO2 to dissociate by supplying calcium ions to pull bicarbonate ions out of solution (by association, the calcium bicarbonate is still dissolved however). What happens is CO2 gas is hydrated, becoming carbonic acid H2CO3 which dissociates into HCO3- (bicarbonate ion) and an H+. A Ca++ ion associates with 2 of the bicarbonate ions Ca(HCO3)2 forming Calcium bicarbonate. If there is any ammonia being released to the water via respiration of fish or bacteria the NH3 molecule hydrates to become ammonium ion NH4+ and an OH- ion. The H+ above and the OH- here reform as water and our plants happily use the NH4+.

So by driving the CO2 into Calcium bicarbonate you are drawing more CO2 into the water. If the plants begin to pull more CO2 out of the water than the tank atmosphere can supply, the bicarbonate ion can reverse the process to become CA and carbonic acid which will reform CO2 and be used by the plants. Or in some instances, a plant can use the Ca(HCO3)2 and take out a CO2 and leave an CaHCO3 Calcium carbonate molecule which will settle out of solution.

Anyhow, while the waterfall is degassing dissolved CO2, or absorbing CO2 from the enclosed atmosphere, it won’t degas bicarbonate ions.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 06:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Man, that last post hurt my brain ;0)

I was just gonna say to perhaps get rid of waterfall and/or add 2nd DIY 2-liter, alternating their change times half & half.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 12:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What about Flourish Excel?

--- Dave ---
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeDeaux
What about Flourish Excel?
That may be the only way to go in this setup.

FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I guess I'll look into the flourish excel.

The waterfall is something of a centerpiece for this tank, so I don't want to get rid of it. I was hoping that it didn't disturb the surface too much, but it does--the CO2 injection is practically worthless. The water is cool, so I hoped that would help...but no.

As for sealing the lid--can't do it, the amphibian inhabitants (once I get some) need proper ventilation. And about calcium ions--how do I go about supplementing the tank and are there any problems/pitfalls I should be aware of?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode