PH won't drop!? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
PH won't drop!?

I just moved my 75g planted tank over to my 90g planted. Pretty much the same setup...more driftwood and plants of course but I cannot drop my PH! I have my CO2 running like it's in a marathon and last night I emptied half the tank and filled it up with DI RO water...and it still turns out exactly the same! The only thing I can think of is my substrate is the black beauty stuff...does this have that strong of a buffering capability?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Not sure about the Black Beauty, but how sure are you that the pH test kit is good?

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

That's a good questions. I tested my RO water and it turned out at about 7.0 I then tested my cichlid tank and that tested high, I tested my tap water and all got different readings. I work in an aquarium shop so I'll take a sample in today and get an electronic reading just to make sure...

...I ask because I need to drop it so I can put my discus back in the planted tank. I tested the tank they are in right now and it's quite a bit lower...so even if the kit was bad it should still read about what they are in...right?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You may have a CO2 leak between the bubble counter and the tank. A few people posting here have had that problem. I had it when I first set up the CO2 system. If the CO2 makes it to the tank the PH has to drop.

Hoppy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:14 AM

To Test Your Sand...

Get some ph minus Hagen (Sulphuric acid) or muriatic (use to clean bricks and patio stone) dry some of your sand drop some acid on it, if you see a reaction you get some kind of buffer that dissolve slowly in youir water.
> if yes change your substrate

> question RO water is not supposed to be lower than that like 6.5, 6.8?

> Did you test your KH, higher your KH, Harder it will be to get the PH to drop.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Is the PH minus a liquid?

I emptied about 75% of the water today and did the whole tank with RO. I originally used tap water...which has a ph of 8.3 If this doesn't work I know something is horribly wrong.

...I did check my CO2 and when I crank it up I see lots of bubbles...so it's working just fine?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

The PH dropped to about 7.0 with the RO water. We'll see what it turn into during the night.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 11:54 PM

PH minus

PH Minus is a liquid a low concentration with water of acid sulphuric.

Did you measure your KH?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

GH and KH are quite low...this doesn't make sence!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
So did you test on a pH meter. Is it a fairly new electrode, because old ones give wacky readings? You're not using a pH controler are you? If the GH and KH are low, I would think you are getting false pH readings. Or all of the tests are expired, non too likely.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 12:29 AM

Low Kh

When you say low, you mean 30 to 40 ppm (g/l) because anything higher will act as a good buffer and give you trouble to put your PH down.

(Lot of CO2 bubble) but do you have a good co2 reactor maybe your co2 is not well dissolve.

personnaly I have only an Hagen ladder as reactor and I have to change (probably with a DIY reactor) because even with the bubble to the max (without to much lost by overflow of gas) I cannot go lower than 6.9, 7.0
I always keep my KH at 30 to 40

Did you test your sand?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode