Changing substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Changing substrate

No its not a question about substrate since i finally broke down and bought Fourite for $14. Now I need to change the substrate with out taking away all the beneficial bacteria at once. So here is my game plan I am going to wash the stuff out then at my next tank cleaning I will take out about 1/5 of the rocks on one side of the tank. I will replace these rocks with the frourite and hopefully no get then mixed up by the use of a divider between the old rocks and the new stuff. I was thinking of doing this over a 2-3 month period or how ever long I can control myself. The with the remaining fourite that hasn't been put in yet I will leave it in a bucket with some of the aquarium water that is established so to get a kick start on the bacteria. Any other ideas on this or other plans would be helpful. Remember im trying to keep it low impact so to not kill my rams. Thanks for the replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your best bet might be to tear down the tank and start over with all new substrate. Hot swapping might put enough particles into your water column to stress your fish. I wouldn't sweat the bacteria, as long as you've got enough plants to uptake ammonia (to minimize fish stress) your tank will eventually cycle with the new substrate. Your plants, tank walls, and filter are also innoculated with bacteria, which will help colonize the new substrate.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 01:44 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
I disagree with hoffboy, a substrate swap killed my rams. I like your idea h20plant. hoffboy does make a good point that MANY particles will be kicked into the water when you remove the old substrate, not to mention a sure ammonia spike. I might try to remove the rams when you make each swap, and let the new fluorite settle in for a few hours and do a large water change before you put them back in. Then maybe use some ammo-rid or somehting in the filter.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Ok I will change the substrate when I do my cleaning and will take out the rams. I am hoping there wont be a big spike but have never done this. Do you think leaving the remaining fluorite in a bucket with tank water will help the initial start up of bacteria or will it do nothing?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Any other ideas? im rinsing the fourite today, that will be fun .
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Put some of the old gravle into a new sock or pantyhose and put it back in the tank. That will lessen the bacterial loss.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

I did the first section and tested the water the ammonia and Nitrite were all 0. do ya think sat or sun I should switch out the rest of the gravel or do it slowly?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 12:19 PM

slowly . . . . JMO . . .. . . . just keep asking yourself "do I really love my rams" HEH

BTW, an ammonia spike will be set back a day or two.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
I've actually done this recently, twice. And I have rams. And yes, I do love them. So I started up my python and as I was sucking out water I would remove some of the old gravel in a cup. That way all the particle got sucked up and the rams weren't too stressed. I've replaced the entire front half of the tank and then the second time I did a corner so my tank is about 3/5 fluorite now. That's where I'm going to stop because the rest of it is out of site and planted with java ferns- they don't need fluorite.

Brian

Eheim Pimp #134
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

All right I will take it slow. But Im like an anxious kid on Xmas. Tested today and all the parameters are perfect so i might do a little more today latter. I interested to see how my growth changes with the change in substrate while keeping my bad lights.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 01:16 PM

briandmiles, how long did you wait to swap the second portion of your substrate?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Well I did the rest of the swap over 3 days. I did get some ammonia spike around .5 but I used CYCLE and next day was 0. That stuff is great it added all the bacteria back into my tank I would definantly recogmend the stuff. I need to get some pics together of before and after. The only problem is the Crypts are melting a alittle from the change but with the new substrait should bounce back even better, i hope .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode