Ammonia above 6 ppm - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (117/100%)
Ammonia above 6 ppm

Well, 4 different test quits have confirmed this. Unless that ADA aquasoil is causing it, I do not know what it is. Currently this tank is housing a molly and around 15 Cherry red shrimp. I would have thought this would be lethal for them, but I counted all of them.

The substrate is a mix of ADA aquasoil and Soilmaster.
Not even water changes have helped with the ammonia levels.
There is some driftwood thatg has been in another tank.

Any help, advice appreciated. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Cheers,
Pedro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 09:13 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just learned that my municipal water supply had ammonia added as a disinfectant. I wouldn't have believed it unless I had seen a city memorandum about an upcoming shift to chloramine addition. Maybe it isn't coming from your tank.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I used almost double seachem prime and still a reading ammonia.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Have you tested your tap water to check that possibility (I thought I'd heard it all when I read on another thread they might add lye to water to "protect our pipes .) How big is your tank? Can you get hold of a large amount of bottled/distilled water to do at least a partial change to see if that affects it?

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 01:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
ada aquasoild does have ammonia in it. At aqua forest in SF they recommend not putting in any fish for 3-4 weeks because of that. They also recommend changing as much water as ofter as possible. Several times a week at least.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thats is good to know...it would be helpful if it says it in the bag. I am still puzzled why the cherry red are still alive and I just spotted one carrying eggs.

So this mean that even if you have a highly planted tank, it will still show ammonia?

The ammount of aquasoil is very small...less than 1/4 of a 9L bag.

Inert gravel for me next time I setup a shrimp tank.

Thanks,
Pedro
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 03:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
hmm, not sure if that little aquasoil would cause that though, how big is the tank. At aqua forest they said for the first couple of weeks to change the water quite a bit. I'm not sure if any ammonia would be present in the long term. I haven't ever really tested my tanks, haha.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It is a 75G tank.

Will ammonium be harmful to fish?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I found an answer to one of my questions: Ammonium is not harmful to tropical fish but ammonia is.

It might be ammonium that I am reading...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (26/100%)
Are you sure someone didn't "top shelf" you tank?

I'm not serious but it would explain the readings. heheh.

Somebody set us up the tank!
ALL YOUR FISH ARE BELONG TO US...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
Is you ammonia test kit one reagent or two (nessler test or salicilate test)?
what's your PH?

Ammonium and ammonia exist together in equilibrium, the equilibrium will shift with your PH. Lower PH means more ammonium, which is much less harmful. Higher PH means much more Ammonia, which is extremely toxic.

The prime will detox the ammonia somewhat and I recommend you continue to use it at recommended levels, but if you are using the nessler reagent test (which is a single reagent and the color chart for results runs from white to orange) it will not show any change when adding prime, the test is just not sophisticated enough. A salicilate test kit has two reagents and the color chart runs from Yellow to dark green. That test kit will register the drop in ammonia when you add prime.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I am using the two regents test kit.
Do you recommend adding more seachem prime?

Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode