Losing fry! pH loooooow! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Losing fry! pH loooooow!

Hi there. I upgraded to a 27 gal. recently and to help climatize it, I used the mulm and substrate in my old tank and the filter media from my old tank. I have plenty of plants, including fast growing ones (temporary) and no C02. I had DIY but the bottle cap where the hose inserts sprung a crack.

I have had three panda cory fry that transferred into the new tank with the rest of my crew (more/older cory fry and mom/dad), pleco, dwarf sucker and 4 tetras. Everyone but the babies survived.

Today, while acclimatizing a new yoyo loach, I tested water parameters. Looking at my low ph, I've added a chunk (not crushed) of coral into the filter thinking this might heighten the ph. I think this may be why the babies died, and now I worry about the new yoyo. Also, P04 is high, which suggests I need to do a water change (I typically did 40% changes on my old tank). I haven't done one on the new set up yet because I bought a used python and don't know how to work it yet. (Advice?)

Can you look at my numbers and give comments please?

pH: 6.3
NH3 Amonia: 0.06
NO2 Nitrate 0.3
KH 20 ppm
GH 60 ppm
P04 5.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 02:53 AM

PTrader: (11/100%)
your GH/KH is very, very low.

You can using epsom salts to increase the GH, and baking soda to increase the KH, but this raises the total disolved salts int he water and you ewill need to do this slow and whatever you do, keep it consistant.

The water that you do water changes with, if you can find water that is harder then you will do better in my experience.

Also make sure that you use start right, or some thype of water stabalizer when you are doing your water changes unless your 100% positive that your water has no hard minerals etc, and even then it cant hurt to use a water stablaizer.

my water that comes out of our water softener has a KH and GH lower than yours, and i had a very rough time getting my aquarium running correctly until I water changes with nothing but the pure well water that has a KH of about 120ppm, then after about a month everything started falling together and working and now I have a very happy, healthy aquarium.

With a KH and a GH of where you are, adding co2 eventually will be difficult.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply!

I have both the soda and epsons, so does 1 tsp of each sound drastic on a 27 gallon?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by:
Quote:
With a KH and a GH of where you are, adding co2 eventually will be difficult.
Does this mean I shouldn't be adding Co2 once I get the cap fixed?

P.S. I just did a 30% water change and made certain to use conditioner.

Thanks!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
what are your water parameters outta the tap....with the water sitting out overnight?
maybe you should read this http://rexgrigg.com/./waterchem.htm

30 gallon pita...102watts..pressurized co2 ...jbj regulator...eco-complete substrate...xp-2... inline c-02 reactor...turbo twist uv
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 01:17 PM

i bet it wasnt the low ph that killed the babies it was the NH3 0.06
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 03:47 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
whats the ph of your tap water , is your ph low because your not doing your water changes.?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

I had not done a water change in 2 weeks due to complications at home. Did one yesterday however. Will do water parameters out of tank and post. THANKS for the help!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode