Help, 150 GALLONS of FOG! Your expert opinions needed... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/100%)
Help, 150 GALLONS of FOG! Your expert opinions needed...

I've done some searching on this forum but nothing seems to match my situation.

Last weekend I did a large water change (about 40%). I did everything I usually do: use the python to siphon the water out the garage door... refill w/ tap water conditioned in the tank w/ Bio Safe (the stuff stinks like deadly chemicals, is it going bad?)... and then clean out filter the next day. Problem: This time, the next morning the tank was super cloudy... like driving through a dense fog...could barely see back of tank! So I cleaned the filter hoping this would help... nope.

Ive had the tank up for over 7 months. I did not disturb the gravel/flourite/ecocomplete mix. I dont think it is suspended air bubbles from the tap - Ive done several changes prior and the tank always looks crystal clear afterwords.

One of the only things I did differently was add a couple of teaspoons of Stress Coat (just needed to empty the bottle for another project).

Here's the setup: just under 3 wpg w/ 55w pc's. pressurized co2, Cascade filter. Left half of tank is heavily planted: Baby's tears, java fern, Water sprite, rotala magenta, micro sword, sag sp., Vals, large amazon swords, sunset hygro. Right side is glosso w/ riccia w/ large rocks - going for the Amano rock garden look. Ive got 10 Cardinal tetras, 13 otos, 3 Large angels, 9 amano shrimp.

Temp is 71 F, ph 7.2, kH 4-5,

**Also - Thursday did a 25% water change hoping this would help... nope! Still cloudy??

Sorry for long post And Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 11:44 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry to hear the bad news. Lets hope you can get through it.

All i can suggest is that the new conditioner you have added, or something similar that is high in chemicals has gone off and this has caused decayed or expired particles or chemicals to just cloud up the water. Id just try about a 25% water change if things continue to be bad - of course i'd suggest moving the fish for a couple of moments while you do this. You dont want any more as you dont want to kill all the bacteria you've built up.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

water a little greenish?

thanks for the input...

yeah, Im planning another water change this weekend... though after the last one Im not too hopeful that it will help.

I did put some water in a white cup and it had a tint of greenish color to it... though it doesnt look particularly green in the tank...
Could the cloudiness be from diatom algae (i think thats what its called)??

Please offer any thoughts or suggestions!

Thanks!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I think diatom algae shows up as a brown scum on everything, and it goes away on its own if you just ignore it while keeping the water parameters in line. Your problem sure sounds like a bacterial bloom - I'm surprised that the water conditioner stunk. Is it decaying?

Hoppy
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Bacterial Bloom?!

What do I do about a bacterial bloom? Btw - the water today is definitely green! When I look through the end of the tank (long-ways), I can only see about 2 feet into the tank (its 6ft long) maybe less.

It's like the water itself is green w/ algae... is there anyway to clear it without an expensive UV setup?

yeah, my Bio Safe has a killer, lung-burning strong chemical stench to it... I didn't know that stuff could go bad?

WHATS GOING ON?! *sigh*

Is there a "tank clear" product that I could use that wouldn't hurt the fish, plants, or shrimp?? (( I dont trust my LFS- they'd sell me anything and say it works fine! ))

thanks for the help!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Who makes Bio Safe? I googled it and only got a company with that name, that doesn't make stuff for aquariums.

Hoppy
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Search for Greenwater or green water or GW*...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 11:21 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
test your tap water . perhaps its changed . I know mine here changes during the seasons. just a guess since you said you didnt do anything diffrent . Higher concentrations in the tapwater may have caused a bloom.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Im starting to think it was a combination of the stress coat and cleaning my filter... I may have knocked out by biological filter. But then again, not sure if that would really have anything to do w/ suspended algae.

I'm doing another water change tomorrow, will test the tap water then.

Wasserpest - thanks - yeah did a search sounds like I have the dreaded "green water". And, to my dismayed, it seems the only cures are: an expensive uv sterilizer, blacking out the tank for 3 days -which i really dont want to do 'cause I have some Riccia hanging on by a tread (no pun intended , or throw in some willow tree branches... WHAT?

There's got to be a better solution... I know Im suppose to make sure my parameters are all in balance, but its not so easy w/ such a large tank.

Im thinking about getting some really fine filter material to see if that helps... any suggestions on what might work??
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
green water is microscopic algae.....real fine filter material is not gonna do it....green water will just pass right through it......unless you use a diatom filter with diatom powder....you can use a hot magnum with its micron filter filled with diatom powder or even a hagen powerhead quickfilter w diatom powder.....
that bein said...i own a turbotwist uv and i love it......if i get a bad case of gw i do a normal (for me) water change ...turn on the filter...and i leave the lights off for one day.....nextday turn lights on and wow....crystal clear water...you can leave the lights on but it will take longer for the gw to subside.....

30 gallon pita...102watts..pressurized co2 ...jbj regulator...eco-complete substrate...xp-2... inline c-02 reactor...turbo twist uv
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdemmin
And, to my dismayed, it seems the only cures are: an expensive uv sterilizer, blacking out the tank for 3 days -which i really dont want to do 'cause I have some Riccia hanging on by a tread (no pun intended , or throw in some willow tree branches... WHAT?

There's got to be a better solution... I know Im suppose to make sure my parameters are all in balance, but its not so easy w/ such a large tank.
Diatom filtration is another way, like triple red mentioned... a Magnum HOT 250 with micro filter cartridge and some diatom powder can clean up the mess, for about $50... But, if the parameters are out of whack, it is like a band-aid covering up some more profound problem.

I think that with a large tank, it is easier to keep parameters stable.

You might want to look into phosphates... get a test kit, and if it shows zero or something close raise them up to 1 ppm or so. Wait a couple of days, and it might clear your situation without any further expenses.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Pics of pea soup!

thanks for the suggestion

I guess what I meant was for me a large tank (ie 150 gal) is more difficult than say a 30/55 gal size. Im aware that small nano tanks are tricky due to the size because its so easy for the ballance to be thrown off... so with larger tanks there's more "buffering" or wiggle-room.
But once you reach a certain size the labor-intensive factor w/ large tanks starts to increase! ie more glass to clean, more gravel surface to lightly vacuum, much more plants to tend to, and of course dosing any chemical/ferts is on a larger scale -for example I just bought some chlorine/choramine water treatment for ponds because its more economical than buying the little bottles of the same stuff used for aquariums.

Anyway - I will start researching diatom powder filtration ASAP! - Is this something that can be added to a Cascade 1500?

** One thing Im wondering is if I have enough plants in the tank to out compete the algae?? Because (correct me if Im off), if I do not, then it wouldnt do any good to increase my ferts, right? How do I know if I have enought plants to out compete the algae?

Here's a pic of the tank before and after pea soup

thanks again for your input!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 12:02 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdemmin
thanks for the suggestion

** One thing Im wondering is if I have enough plants in the tank to out compete the algae?? Because (correct me if Im off), if I do not, then it wouldnt do any good to increase my ferts, right? How do I know if I have enought plants to out compete the algae?

Here's a pic of the tank before and after pea soup

thanks again for your input!
Looking at your picture in answer to your question i would say you DO NOT have enough plants you should start with as many as you can afford from the beginning this will let the plants out compete algae for nutrients.

Right now i would worry about the water stop adding ferts cut down on light stop feeding do water changes . Diatom filter will clear it and so will a uv filter. You can try a 3 day blackout also. If you use a diatom or uv this will solve it but you should look for the cause so it dont happen again.
Dave
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
What other living things do you have in the tank?

I know that a lot of people here frown on adding any chemicals besides fertilizers, but products like pro-clear and accuclear will work to clump the algae together, drop some poly floss in your filter and it will remove it.

Again, it won't solve the cause of the outbreak, but it will treat it almost as well as a diatom or UV sterilizer for about 1/10 the cost.

Just make sure you use it as per package directions, and I recommend you do a water change 24 hours after treatment and throw out the poly floss. If you have to treat again, use fresh. I have used it in my shrimp/fry tank without ill effect but I have heard from other hobbyists that some of their smaller fish did have some temporary issues gasping at the surface when they overdosed.

Take it with a grain of salt, it is the lazy way out.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

dschmeh - here's the deal... the first pic is a little misleading because it was taken a few weeks ago, the right side of the tank has riccia in mid to back ground and glosso in foreground pretty well covering all the area that looks barren in the picture. Im going for the "jungle" look on the left and rocky plateau on the right

... do you think this scaping design is asking for trouble? I was hoping that once the left side fills in and my riccia and glosso get nice and thick it would be a sweet tank.

turbosaurus- I have amanos, cardinal tetras, angels, and otos. Im all for lazy as long as the flora and fauna dont suffer
I may have to try this route because none on the "pet stores" around hear have even heard of it (they just kind of look at you like your speaking spanish... or maybe german
Is there another name for the powder? Guess I could order it online if need be.

You want to hear something sad? I cant even count my CO2 bubble rate because I have it going into my filter intake!

you just gotta luv this hobby

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode