Epsom Salt..... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Epsom Salt.....

My water is hard, but apparently lacks enough Mg. I've been adding Epsom salt, but I've also been reading conflicting things....

One adds it 3x/wk, Another only adds a "Replacement" for the New water after a water change....

Any Insight...?

If its the ?x/wk--does anybody know if Epsom salt stays dissolved for Auto-dosing...?

Thanx!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 09:33 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'm likely the 3x'er . No real good explanation for why I went that route other than the fact that I just like routine, so it's easier for me just to mix up the same ferts come macro day. I guess I also figured that since I do 50% weekly water changes, levels couldn't get too bad and I'd just as soon have a bit excess than to keep struggling with lower leaf drop-off.

If anyone has any other rationales for/against, I'd be interested in hearing them!
Brian.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 11:34 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Well I figured that adding epsom salt directly affects the hardness of the water, so I wanted to avoid adding too much. So, once after water change

BUT, I could/should split that one-time amount by three, then add it 3x a week . . . creating a more stable level.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The majority of water hardness should come from calcium, not magnesium. Epsom salts are a poor way (IMO) of increasing hardness. Recent findings suggest that elevated magnesium levels kill some kinds of plants, or stops or stunts their growth.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 01:14 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
since your water is already hard adding epsom will make it harder can you just find and dose mn by itself . Flourish has mn so does kent pro-plant im sure there are many others and you may be able to find just a straight mn additive if you hunt around try gooleing it.
Dave
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 01:42 PM
BSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus
The majority of water hardness should come from calcium, not magnesium. Epsom salts are a poor way (IMO) of increasing hardness. Recent findings suggest that elevated magnesium levels kill some kinds of plants, or stops or stunts their growth.
I agree with you statements, however in this case it's not in an attempt to increase hardness. It is an attempt to battle an Mg deficiency even though the source water is, via GH measurement, very hard. Mg deficiencies manifest themselves in excessive lower leaf drop off, in my experience.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 01:44 PM
BSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschmeh
since your water is already hard adding epsom will make it harder can you just find and dose mn by itself . Flourish has mn so does kent pro-plant im sure there are many others and you may be able to find just a straight mn additive if you hunt around try gooleing it.
Dave
Do you really mean 'Mn'? Mn is the chemical abbreviation for manganese which is a needed micro nutrient. Mg is the abbreviation of magnesium (darned close, no doubt!), which is a needed macro.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 02:15 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
thats what i was trying to say but i misread the the original post Mn Mg hey they both start with M
Dave
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus
The majority of water hardness should come from calcium, not magnesium.
This is true and I think the suggested ratio is something like 3 or 4:1, but I'm not a ratio follower myself .

My tapwater comes with a ratio of around 8:1 Ca/Mg. It also has fluctuating levels of GH. Like BSS, I was noticing lower leaf drop off and dosing epsom salts did the trick for me.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
in this case it's not in an attempt to increase hardness. It is an attempt to battle an Mg deficiency even though the source water is, via GH measurement, very hard.
Same Here. I had/have either a K or Mg deficiency--and from what I've read: a lot of times an Mg deficiency will be disguised as a K deficiency. I have added more Mg than K and it has helped. I think that my water is hard, but low on Mg--that's the purpose of adding the Epsom salt.

Either way, it helps!

Quote:
Well I figured that adding epsom salt directly affects the hardness of the water, so I wanted to avoid adding too much. So, once after water change
I understand and Agree with that--and that's where the confusion comes in for me on which way to dose. I don't want a build up that may come back around to bite me in the butt--I would probably have a Heck of a time trying to figure out what was wrong!

So, there doesn't seem to be any real Ryhme or Reason on how much....?

I guess I'll have to sort this out for my tanks and try to see which works better. I've done both--and either way seems to work! -at least short-term.

But I think I am going to go with the water change replacement for now and see how that goes. That way I have less chance of an accumulation.....

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 08:54 PM
BSS

Please share your observations over time!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 02:22 PM

BSS, after reading your Mg thread (posted last month) and then reading the above, I suspect my tank suffers from the same deficiency. My gh is 11.5 so I'll have to follow the logic of Naja002.

wish me luck!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 03:42 PM
BSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian
BSS, after reading your Mg thread (posted last month) and then reading the above, I suspect my tank suffers from the same deficiency. My gh is 11.5 so I'll have to follow the logic of Naja002.

wish me luck!
Please report back as well. If my data is working and helping folks, that makes me feel good. If it's bogus and misleading, then I'm not feeling so good .

Good luck,
Brian.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode