softning water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
softning water

can anyone tell me the correct way to make my water softer.ro is not an option.i understand peat can be used.who's brand,do you wash first,in filter or in bag in tank,and how much.any information would be greatly appreciated.kh is running about 11 in 75 gal tank using press.co2. regards,cornhusker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
For Peat Moss I use one qt. per 25 gallons (replace every few months) . The best place to put it is in the filter or in a spot of good flow. The brand name IS not as important. Make sure that it has no additives(chems. add to it)..if you use a bag of some form, no washing needed..........
This post is IME............

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
my params from the tap :

kh 9
gH 12

inside the tank

kH 10
gH 14

I need some way of reducing the hardness. Ro is one option, but too difficult to do since I would need some 80-100 gallon of water to do a partial WC mix. Rain water is not dependable and might contain too much pollution. I can use some peat but I hate too much stain in my water. What else should I do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If I wanted to find 100 gallons of very soft water and lived where it rained a lot all year, I would definitely collect rain water. Then I would buy a filter made for drinking water, with an activated carbon filter element in it, and use a powerhead or small pump to run the water through the filter before adding it to the tank. Air pollution should be much easier to remove from the water than calcium and magnesium ions are.

Hoppy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 10:22 PM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
Is the only reason you don't want a ro unit because you do 100G wc? You can get one that can make 100GPD for ~$130. This seems like the easiest way...

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 01:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofazt
Is the only reason you don't want a ro unit because you do 100G wc? You can get one that can make 100GPD for ~$130. This seems like the easiest way...
Well... I havent check the availability and pricing yet. At least how they go these days. If they are already that cheap and efficient right now, why not? I wil start looking here and there

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 02:24 AM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
AQUA-AQUARIUM-100GPD

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 03:54 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
RO system

I just hooked up my new RO, got this one on ebay for $129 with the hose adapter and shipping. It works pretty good and made me 55 gal. of water in the first 11 hours. That was with my 58 deg. cold tap water where i live which is not optimal for the unit. for the price you can get them now you cant go wrong. just my .02

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-2-110GP...QQcmdZViewItem

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode