Cl- in KCl : dangerous? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Cl- in KCl : dangerous?

I've been dosing KCl because K2S04 is so difficult to find around here, and there is no such commercial product that contains only K component. I've tried many chemical shops, and unlike KNO3, K2SO4 proves to be a challange.

KCl in water soluble form dissolves in water into K+ and Cl-.
I've been told that those Cl- that is released from dissolution of KCl in water, especially because K is given at high concentration (around 30 ppm each dosing), will be harming the thin cells of plants. Hence it will result in doing more damage than any good when given in such normal EI dosage.

1. Is this true? What I know is that harmful chlorine (and also chloramine) usually comes from tap water that went through water companies. Such issue generally poses more harm to fish than plants.
2. Should this be a real issue in using KCl as source of K, what should I do? Do I pre dissolve it long before I use it, or is there any physical treatments such as boiling or aerating the KCl solution prior to dosing in order to get rid of radical Cl- ?

I hope someone with a good chemistry skill would come up with any idea on this thought. Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I dose KCl in the form of NuSalt bought from the grocery store. I dose about 15ppm per week. I don't have any chemistry skills, but my plants are doing well and I have very little algae now a days. I have read that it is chloride and not chlorine, so it doesn't really hurt the plants/animals as chlorine would. I dose dry, sometimes into the back of the filter(HOB), sometimes straight into the tank. If any hits the ramshorn snails they will immediatly jut into their shells, but I don't really care for them anyway. Cherry shrimp and fish don't mind the quick salt bath at all and will sometimes try to eat the grains as they come down.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink
I dose KCl in the form of NuSalt bought from the grocery store. I dose about 15ppm per week. I don't have any chemistry skills, but my plants are doing well and I have very little algae now a days. I have read that it is chloride and not chlorine, so it doesn't really hurt the plants/animals as chlorine would. I dose dry, sometimes into the back of the filter(HOB), sometimes straight into the tank. If any hits the ramshorn snails they will immediatly jut into their shells, but I don't really care for them anyway. Cherry shrimp and fish don't mind the quick salt bath at all and will sometimes try to eat the grains as they come down.
Same as you do yoink, I keep solid KCl and dump them into the tank. Wether it is into the tank directly or from the filter. Somethis I dissolve it first in a one gallon bucket and dump in (as in any other ferts). I never add my ferts at the same time. At least I'd wait for half a day before adding different kinds of ferts.

Chloride (Cl) and Chlorine (Cl2) are different form of Cl and I'm aware of that. Perhaps by the time I wrote the question it was too late at night that I messed up and make it looks as though both are the same.

I've tried winkipedia and some sites, cannot see how Cl- can turns into some oxidizing agent like Cl2 without any strong means of physical/chemical ways. There is no lab or factory inside my tank...

I have not figured how excess Cl- from 30ppm K in the tank can harm plants within a week (that is before I do 30-50% WC).

Any more thought?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 05:21 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I haven't put too much thought into this, as I am at work, but perhaps some of it is removed with the dechlor you had. I've thought about this briefly in the past as chloride is added to the tank, through the different additives. Which brought me to think about wether it is the sodium in salt that can be bad for a planted tank. But like I said Im at work so I didn't put much thought into this, haha Im not sure I even posted an answer to the question.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The quantity of KCl you add for the K needed is very small compared to the quantity of salt in salt water, so I doubt that it will ever be a problem if you do regular water changes. The chlorine that is harmful to fish is hypochlorite, I'm pretty sure, which you get with bleach or by adding hydrochloric acid to water.

Sodium isn't going to be harmful in that small a dosage either. We use much more in baking soda when we use it to raise KH, and no one has reported problems as a result.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode