24hr & 12hr CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
24hr & 12hr CO2

Someone posted a thread at Aquaria Central about this. I responded with my own experience and also threw in some theoretical questions, but no one responded, so I wanted to ask here:

"Just wanted to throw in a little of my own testing.

I have my CO2 on a timer. I tested pH at around 2PM (about middle time for lights & CO2 on), and it showed 6.8. Later that night (3AM) when the CO2 and lights were off, I tested the pH again and got 7.0. I only did this once so there may be a .2 +/- there, but for me, there was very little change from day to night.

I was thinking about this earlier and wondered if it has to do with what your pH and KH is out of tap. If your tank starts out with your tap water, for ex. mine's 7.2, during the night when your CO2 is off, wouldn't your tank only reach what was your tap originally (this would be the "max" it could rise)? Plants do release O2 at night (but not sure how much, though from the articles and posts I've read about it, they say it is minimal), so maybe add on .2 more pH's "max". So this would mean your tank only reaches .2 more than your tap is. In turn, this would mean the more drastic the pH swing could depend on where you start out (tap), and where you end up (CO2).

As for KH, I was thinking if it is high like say 11 (mine), would mean it would take more time for pH to rise or fall? This would mean it would be less likely that a big pH swing would occur when CO2 is shut off in those tanks that have higher KH, than those with lower KH.

These are all just theoretical ideas, but I thought I'd put them out there.

What really needs to be done is someone test their water who have nothing added in their tank that would change the water chemistry and have a planted tank with no carbon at all. They would test in the day, then in the night. Then we might know how much plants really do change water chemistry by adding oxygen and carbon."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
My kh is 9 and I leave my CO2 on 24/7 because I found if I didn't I had difficulty keeping the CO2 at the levels I wanted. My pH varies by about .2 units during day/night.

You might be interested in this thread from apc:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ad.php?t=13598

Bert
Filstar pimp #19
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thanks for the link. That's some good detailed info there. I think I shall join.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I keep my CO2 on 24/7 as well. I also have a Pinpoint pH probe that continually runs. Typically, lights on = 6.45, lights off = 6.55.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode