Excel & Carbon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
Excel & Carbon

I've had this in mind the whole week now and I wanted to ask you guys. If I'm dosing Excel and other ferts, will having carbon in the filters affect the ferts? Say for instance in a low tech non-CO2 tank with regular dosings of Excel and what-not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 01:17 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
Yes, carbon is capable of removing ferts and excel. I advise to not use carbon in a planted tank.

Marcel
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 10:43 PM

But to what degree? That's what I want to know.

I used a HOB for a while, and the filter pad already had carbon in it. I dosed macros and Excel and didn't see it adversely affect my tank. Of course this can depend on how old the carbon is (usually isn't good anymore after 2 weeks, sometimes less) and how much there is compared to tank size. But generally speaking, from my experience, it doesn't adversely affect plants.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 09:17 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
According to Seachems FAQ's on Excel "chemical filtration medias will have a very minimal impact on Flourish Excel but not enough to warrant removing them from your filter when you dose this product".

However, according to this info carbon can remove potassium, which wouldn't be good.

Last edited by Iggy; 02-18-2006 at 01:48 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have never used carbon and never had any adverse affects. Why keep something even the slightest bit detrimental in if you have no use or reason for it.

Macranda Farmer of the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Planted Member

Well carbon is for removing chemicals in the water so i would think it would remove ferts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

please comment on my
photo album
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydrsv
I have never used carbon and never had any adverse affects. Why keep something even the slightest bit detrimental in if you have no use or reason for it.
If it is already included in the filter, I don't see how it is much of a choice. It does have its benefits. I was using it when I had fish only. When I converted to planted fish tanks, I used my same setup so it was just part of the setup for my planted tank.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 06:41 AM

Chances are there isn’t “enough” carbon in your HOB filter to make an impact (hence the minimal impact). What carbon is inside the filter will begin to leach out whatever it has absorbed in a couple of weeks or so. Unless you change the carbon filter every week, I wouldn’t worry about it.

What I wouldn’t advise is the use of carbon in canister filters where you can load up pints of it at a time. I would have some around, but only if I need to use it for an emergency.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode