Dosing boric acid - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dosing boric acid

Hi all,
I have a 63G well planted tank and I'm experiencing some deformation with the new growth leafs. My parameters are kh 6, gh 12, ph 7, light 144W, pressurized Co2. I am fertilizing with Aquamedic Ferreal and Floreal. Because gh is high I doubt there is a problem with calcium, so I focused on boron that could block calcium uptake.
I bought some boric acid that is a powder and my chemistry problem is how much to dose to obtain for example 1 ppm concentration.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Not an lot at all. I would merely wet a small piece of wood and pick up a few grains and dissolve them in the tank. You don't need 1 ppm of boron in the tank.

Boron is a TRACE element.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for replying.
I have another tank of the same size that contains a piece of wood (20cm/10cm).
There is some hygrophila polisperma in that tank that presents the same problem.
So wood contains boron? This could mean that not the boron is my problem.
How much do I really need as concentration (ppm)?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 01:05 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtecine
So wood contains boron? This could mean that not the boron is my problem.
I don't think that is what Rex was implying. I think he was just suggesting a method (i.e. the wood) for picking up a few "grains" of the boric substance. Sounds like you might want to go with a pre-mix, though I'd have no clue what ratios of boric to water to use.

I'm very interested in hearing your results however!
Brian.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
BSS is correct.

I used the idea of a wet toothpick to pick up a very small amount of the boric acid.

I'm trying to remember how much boric acid I added to the Plantex CSM I sold. I seem to remember it was about 10% by volume. And then you have to figure out the dilution of the Plantex and how much boron is in boric acid. But it's not going to be a lot.

Here is the ratio I used.

Quote:
To add B to CSM to make CSM+B, mix 10.5 teaspoons of CSM to 1 teaspoon of H3BO3 (CSM to H3BO3 is 14 to 1 by weight). (CSM+B has a ratio of 5.5Fe(iron) to 1 B)
Direct from The Krib.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 03:21 AM

I found this thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ighlight=H3BO3

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherwise
In the 250 ml bottle, mix 3 teaspoon Plantex CSM and 0.25 teaspoon H3BO3 (Boric acid) with enough water to make a 250ml solution.

Start by dosing 5 ml of the solution to the 120 gallon 2-3 times per week. There isn't a good Fe test kit so monitor by observation. Dose too little and you'll see iron-chlorosis. Dose too much and you'll see thread algae.
My 20 gallon tank has the same problem as yours (with hygrophila polisperma too). Other plants don't have this problem. I started dosing CaSO4.2H2O and MgSO4.7H2O, because I have a very low GH and I noticed only a minor change in plant's health after dosing. So, this week I bought some H3BO3 to see what happens...

Following the above quote, I dissolved 1/4 tsp H3BO3 into 100 ml of water (I know it's more, but I think it's ok since I don't mix it with traces) and I'm dosing 8 drops 3 times per week (~ 1 ml per week). Does anyone know if it's ok, or should I dose more?

Last edited by Frank Drebin; 02-17-2006 at 04:47 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

In the most affected tank I run carbon for about 1 month and about 1 week of uv sterilization because I had a bad green water. It seems that one or both affected the nutrient balance. I stopped uv filter 1 week ago.
I know carbon will take out medicines, hard metals from the water, but boron? I know also plants can store much more nutrients than they need. So the deficiency occurred in fact some time ago. Could it be 1 week, more? If the proper balance is achieved, how long it takes to show signs of improvements? Most affected are ammania senegalensis, gracilis and eusteralis stellata.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode