New Dosing Regime - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
New Dosing Regime

Aside from EI, I have experienced a stunt in growth becuase of the excess nutrients that are in the tank. However even though a 50% water change and remove those excess nutrients I have come to realized that plants are still getting excess nutrients and have became stunted (just like using steroids, proteins, a human being can be stunted without doing the right exercices!).

Going from there, instead of decreasing my dosings for each nutrient, I decided to go and test out Chuck Gadd's calculator and here is what I came up with;

1.) 6 tablespoons of KNO3 w/ 500ml of water
- Each ml of water = 1.03ppm x 15 = 15.45ppm (suggested target level)
2.) 1 tablespoon of KH2PO4 w/ 500ml of water
- Each ml of water = 0.27ppm x 4 = 1.08ppm (sugested target level)
3.) 5 tablespoons of K2So4 w/ 500ml of water
- Each ml of water = 1.07ppm x 15 = 21.4ppm (suggested target level)

Please NOTE that this is for a 20g aquarium, and I am mixing this into 3 seperate solutions, similar to the solution for Plantex CSM + B Plus extra Iron from GW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
C02 being the right exercise, in all of your nutrient concoction's, with C02 being the limited nutrient, you will still run into problem's until you either
A: Reduce lighting
B: Maximize C02
That is all that is left to adjust, C02 being the hardest to "master" if I may use the term.
Add Excel/Carbon for a week and see if thing's improve greatly.
How much light?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdinh04
I have come to realized that plants are still getting excess nutrients and have became stunted (just like using steroids, proteins, a human being can be stunted without doing the right exercices!).

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

3.25wpg, (65watt, 6,700K)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdinh04
3.25wpg, (65watt, 6,700K)
65w on a 20g?.. overkill, that is alot more than 3.25wpg, more like 5wpg, you have to be deadnut with the C02 and that much light...
WPG rule fly's out the window on small tank's.
If you dose 1/4Tsp KN03, 1/16Tsp KH2P04, 5ml trace, and are having problems?!? it is always light/C02.
Add another needle valve and run a diffuser also, or a wood stone along with the reactor, simply building a pvc pipe and plugging C02 up to that, does not mean you have good C02, no matter what the "chart's" say. The plant's tell the truth!

Personally I would raise the fixture above the tank a few inch's, 8", 10", 12",I hang them from a decorative chain you can get from any hardware store, so the fixture can be adjusted.
Or use less light.
I use a 65w fixture on my 29, and it is to much light for just simply sitting it on the tank for even 8 hour's, thing's need to be adjusted a bit, you are getting close..
It is kind of like playing with a magnifying glass, you know, trying to fry ant's? the glass/ light has to be just right...haha

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I will try to adjust my CO2 and lighting hours and hopefully come to a solution.
Thanks for your advice Woefen.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think in many cases, more light causes more problems once you pass the point needed for healthy growth.

In the back of my head though, I have the Tim Taylor urge. "More power!"

I went with 2 ah bright kits. 4.4wpg. Much more if you consider the reflectors. I would say it is more effort but I don't regret it.

Macranda Farmer of the
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 02:40 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
I ran 65 watts on a 20 long with EI and had very few problems.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
I run 65W over a 15g and don't have issues.
I also run 28W over a 6g and 18W over a 2.5g. No algae issues there either.

When folks mention that the WPG rule it out the window on smaller and larger tanks, it is usually into the opposite extremes. I think Rex's explanation is a decent explanation of this.

The 15 and 6 have pressurized CO2 feeds, the 2.5 just gets excel.
All get the full suite of ferts from Gregwatson, some Flourish, and sometimes, some Flourish Iron.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
If you have issues: try CO2 first as mentioned, but also: trace dosing, I really prefer TMG.

Also, Gh variation in the tap can cause issues.
Add ~1/4 teaspoon, SeaChem EQ or the GH builder from www.gregwatson.com each week

That should address things other than patience.

Regards,
Tom Barr

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
I run 65 W of 6700k sitting on the rim of a planted 20 long- its my fry grow out tank and I LEAVE THE LIGHT ON 24-7. Once in a blue moon I get a little algae on the glass- but usually the 3 otos in there keep it real clean.

I will actually pull out algae covered plants from other tanks where I am not so lucky and drop them in the 20 so the otos and amano shrimp can have a snack.

Wish I knew why it works since my 180 w/10 hrs of 376w on the other hand is COVERED in algae- and all different kinds at that!

I wish it were just one thing that you had to get right, but unfortunately its ALL gotta be right in relation to one another... We should have a big online calculator- one where you enter in your tank size, wattage, distance from the equator, astrological sign and it spits out exactly what you need to do!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode