Yes 26 72.22%
No 10 27.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Do you dose dry?

This question really pertains more to dosing KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4, etc.

I think most everyone makes a Plantex solution..

I wonder because I am toying with possibly making solutions instead of dosing dry. Seems like it would be a lot easier and more accurate. E.g. adding larger amounts to 250ml of water for instance and dosing from a 10 ml syringe seems less error prone than eye-balling a 1/8th teaspoon to get half of its volume (ie. 1/16th tsp).

Regards,
Barry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FILSTAR Advocate #39
Member, Minnesota Aquarium Society
29 Gal. - 100% Eco-Complete/2x65W CF/CO2/Filstar XP2/RedSea500/KH:3/GH:5/pH:< 5.5/EI Dosing/WWC 50%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
I wouldn't be so concerned about getting EXACT amounts of the stuff.

I am not saying going from a teaspoon to a tablespoon, but a few extra or a few less tenths of grams isn't going to make a difference in the world.
1/8 to 1/16...eyeballing half is fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 08:17 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
It might be easier, or if you get that larger portion off then ALL the doses are going to be off!

I dose "dry" each time, by adding the powders to a bit of water to dissolve them first, then into the tank! (including csm+b)

*EDIT: Can someone change my vote to Yes?!? Oooops . . . .

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 08:31 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a lot of different sized tanks, so I mix up solutions based on a 10g tank. Then I increase the amount of solution used where needed. In other words, for a KNO3 mixed solution where 1ml gives me 1ppm nitrate for a 10g tank, I dose at 9ml for 1ppm nitrate in my 75gs. To dose 10ppm nitrates, I mix 90ml of solution with a gallon of tank water and drip it in one of the filter outflows.

Makes it easier for me to dose all the tanks the same day.

JM2C
Roan
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 09:07 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
It's dry dosing for me. Scoop some tank water into a jug, add the ferts, give it a good stir and throw it back in the tank.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Currently I use Seachem Nitrogen and Potassium, plus Fleet enema for Phosphate. I liked using the Seachem solutions as I got used to dosing fertilizers into the tank. As soon as the Seachem runs out I will switch to dry dosing - it's soo much cheaper (I will continue to use the Fleet enema).
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
I prefer to dose dry, everything. Makes me smile when people have problems with mold growing in their solutions. One less thing to worry about. I start dosing slowly, and when there's problems I go back to what I originally measured out.

Best of Luck!

the KK

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I dry dose using the same method of dissolving the powders to a bit of water to dissolve them first, then into the tank.

If you are really concerned about dry measurements, you can get a scale that is accurate to 1/10th of a gram from e-bay or amazon for 20 - 30 dollars. I did that for my micros.

However IMHO if you are doing weekly 50% water changes this is probably overkill, as any extras will be decreased by the end of the week WC.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 04:00 PM

PTrader: (6/100%)
I`m a dry doser. I eyeball it sometimes. Po4 for example I estimated half my 1/16th spoon. No biggy. Works fine.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 04:07 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
well, I dose EI which is a rough estimate anyways. I don't think your plants care all that much if you're off by a millionth or two.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
My reason to dose dry is based off 1) experience and 2) less mess of a liquid dribbling, spilling the liquids, leaking caps etc, also, it's yet another conversion I need to make and figure for each tank volume based on the mls of the solution.

It's more complicated basically.
You do get more accuracy, but the accuracy is not needed so I do not bother. I could spend 300$ for a scale to weight things out precisely for both dry and liquid ferts, but ............we do not need the accuracy(the cheaper scales do the job to 10mg ranges fairly well), so why bother in the first place?

Many folks do not want to get a SCALE IN THE FIRST PLACE FOR 20-30$.

That seems to be a good enough reason alone not to bother.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode