Chelated Iron Dosing Calculation? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Chelated Iron Dosing Calculation?

So I've got 13.2% chelated iron. My aquarium is 50gal And it came with a 250ml dosing bottle. However, I don't have any idea of what to dose and the amount.

The rough guide I have so far is 1tsp in the 250ml bottle, dosing twice a week. Also when mixing it with EI regime should I avoid dosing chelate on particular EI days?

EI days as in KNO2 (potassium nitrate) KH2PO4 (monopotassium phosphate) and trace days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
http://calc.petalphile.com/

everything is here. do not dose Fe or traces same day as Phosphate dosing.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
http://calc.petalphile.com/

everything is here. do not dose Fe or traces same day as Phosphate dosing.
Yeah, this is the calc I used.

I had a 500ml bottle (empty water bottle) and wanted to dose an easy to remember amount, so I chose 5mL

using the calculator, plug in those values and it will tell you have many grams of chelated iron to add to the 500ml water.

Ive been using my mixture for a few months and my reds are very strong, so Im happy.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
If you want some moar background, or fun to figure it out yourself, or like spreadsheets, here are some ideas too. But using the online calculator is probably easier.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok guys

"18.199 g EDTA Fe (13%) to your 250.0 mL dosing container. Add 10.0 mL of that mix to your 50.0 US gal aquarium to yield
Element ppm/degree
Fe 0.50"

Just one further question how do I measure out 18.99g in tsp?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
You don't... for things like this you need a scale with gram precision. They run around $10 if you shop around a bit.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Say it aint so?

I need to buy a gram precision scale to dose edta iron? Surely there must be an alternative way to get a near enough measurement without having to buy a electronic scale to measure out this dosage to precision? I thought it was more about consistency?

*EDIT*

I tsp = 5g so literally nearly around 3 and half tsp

If u want an accurate

1 tsp = 4.76g
so x = 18g

18*4.76 = x
3.7 =x

So nearly 18g = 3.7 tsp

Via google
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by malloy85 View Post
Say it aint so?

I need to buy a gram precision scale to dose edta iron? Surely there must be an alternative way to get a near enough measurement without having to buy a electronic scale to measure out this dosage to precision? I thought it was more about consistency?

*EDIT*

I tsp = 5g so literally nearly around 3 and half tsp

If u want an accurate

1 tsp = 4.76g
so x = 18g

18*4.76 = x
3.7 =x

So nearly 18g = 3.7 tsp

Via google
These calculations only hold true for something that has a density of 1 gram/cubic centimetre (millilitre), which is probably not true for your powdered iron chelate.

I would recommend you purchase a scale.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 01:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
I realize that an electronic scale would be the best bet for dosing this. But am I right in assuming that adding less than the reccomended dosage won't hurt anything? There are many people who don't dose Fe at all so I wouldn't think that this would be a problem. I've heard that there is a ball park of 1/3 of the dosage of traces is about where you want to dry dose Fe, is this information erroneous?

Thanks,
Joshua

Piano

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode