Possible to get Boron???... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Possible to get Boron???...

Having gone through various permutations of Ca/Mg/K and having similar water as Brian (BSS), and referring to post #27 on this thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/wa...limited-2.html I would like to know if one can get boron to add as a supplement? I use Flourish and Flourish iron and don't really want to change to CSM+B. But I would like some B.

So, does anyone know if this is sold anywhere as a concentrated solution, or in powder form which we can make a solution of? I am going to ask greg watson if he can refer me as well to any such product.

TIA.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Boric acid.

Should be able to get it at most any decent drug store. Most Wal-Mart stores carry it as does KMart.

It's used as an eye wash.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 04:07 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Bert - you know I'd love to hear what you find out !!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Bert,
If you have or plan on having any shrimp do not switch to CSM+B. Prolonged use of CSM+B (over a couple of months) almost certainly leads to near total loss of shrimp. It has a much higher concentration of heavy metals in it than Flourish and TMG, which is understandable since it wasn't developed to be used in an aquarium.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada
If you have or plan on having any shrimp do not switch to CSM+B. Prolonged use of CSM+B (over a couple of months) almost certainly leads to near total loss of shrimp. It has a much higher concentration of heavy metals in it than Flourish and TMG, which is understandable since it wasn't developed to be used in an aquarium.
Personal experience? Or can you point out some references on the problem?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra
Personal experience? Or can you point out some references on the problem?
Both. There are a number of member is SFBAAPS that switched to CSM+B and we all ended up losing a lot of shrimp (mainly Cherry Reds back then) after dosing CSM+B for about a 6-8 weeks.

I was actually given a bag of CSM+B by another member who thought that it had led to the death of her Amanos. But she has extremely soft water so I though I'd give it a try since my water has KH12+ and GH14+. It took about 6 weeks for all my shimp to die off.

Granted, in most of our cases we weren't/aren't doing regular EI dosing with large water changes to these shrimp tanks so accumulation of toxic elements were being compounded with each dose. But now that I'm back on TMG I've reintroduced Cherry Reds back into the tank and they're thriving again.

óBill

|
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am not planning on switching to CSM+B, I just want to dose boron separately. But I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 09:54 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
shot how much are u dumping in there????
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
shot how much are u dumping in there????
Was this directed at me? The tank in question (a 20g dosed with 2ml of PPS standard solution, and 1-2ml of Excel per day) was getting about 2ml of CSM+B solution (1T CSM+B + 500ml H20) per day.

If you're doing weekly 50% water changes there may not be any danger using CSM+B, but in a lower maintenance environment I'd stick to TMG.

óBill

|
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 11:56 PM

bharada thats not all that much thats good to know if i even get any shrimp thanks
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 03:35 PM

PTrader: (6/100%)
bharada, You don`t feel the Excel played any role in the death of the shrimp?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad
bharada, You don`t feel the Excel played any role in the death of the shrimp?
No. I still dose the same amount of Excel into the tank and the shrimp are multiplying like crazy again.

I also add 2-3ml of Excel M-F into a 10g tank I keep at work. The shrimp population in there has gone from 5 to over 100 in a little over four months.

óBill

|
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have od'd Excel in a tank full of shrimp and never lost any. I agree with Bill, Excel will not hurt any shrimp.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to GregWatson
I'd be more inclined to believe its related to the higher copper levels in both the water source and the Plantex CSM ... but my personal opinions are not universally held ...

Here's what PetShrimp forums wrote for me about Plantex and Shrimp ...

http://www.gregwatson.com/CherryShri...edAquarium.htm

It's a good read ...

Greg

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Greg,

You know the Plantex people will make you a trace mix without or with very low levels of copper. I talked to them at one time.

The joke is the minimum order is around 960 lbs.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode