High Altitude and CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
High Altitude and CO2

I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere so wanted to know if any of the experience people here have seen anything on this.

I live at 7,000 plus feet. This leads to very different atmospheric pressure which leads to very different O2 and CO2 levels in water than would be achieved at sea level by simple diffusion.

The problem will be that it will be more difficult to attain the "ideal" CO2 ppm at this altitude, and CO2 may have negative effects on fish at lower levels than at sea level, given the CO2/O2 exchange mechanisms.

I have noticed that CO2 levels in the "ideal" range seem to be stressing my Discus fish. They lose their appetite and seem more "listless" at this level of CO2 than when it is slightly less than "ideal" (according the chart in this section).

The thoughts and experiences of those keeping planted tanks at high altitudes would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I am becoming very convinced that watching your fish and plants is the way to determine the correct CO2 level. If your Discus show distress when you increase CO2, just back down a bit until the distress isn't apparent. Your experience is the most important, by far. This is especially true when you consider that for real world water the CO2/PH/KH tables are not very accurate.

Hoppy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Im not as high as you ( think some were around the <6,000 ft mark)...
you right about the atmospheric pressure.. have to keep co2 a little lower than ideal levels....let plants and fish judge what levels to keep co2,.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin

Last edited by aquamoon; 02-09-2006 at 06:05 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 03:49 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
My friend lives in Denver, so roughly 5,200 feet. He has no issues keepign his CO2 at 40ppm and his fish do fine.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I suspect that 5000 feet is about the line where effects begin to be noticed. I work in Salt Lake at 5200 feet, and there is quite a difference in air pressure between there and where I live in Park City at 7000 feet.

Cooking in Salt Lake is not nearly as affected as cooking in Park City, for example.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I live up at 9600ft in colorado and the lfs near here recomended an extra bubbler to keep the O2 up. (Though I am not sure how much this affects CO2 as I have never dosed before.)

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
___

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode