Newbie Water Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Newbie Water Question

Hello guys,

I first want to thank everyone for your help so far.

I have been injecting for 8 days now and have seen a fairly significant rescape (for me anyway). I ordered my macros this weekend from GW and they should be here in a couple days. Meanwhile I have been dosing with Flourish/FE and Excel (1 capful of each).

Water parameters:
Tap letting it stand for about 24 hrs
Ph=8.0
Kh=3 degrees
Gh=6 degrees
Cl2=.05

Tank 1 week after 45% water change about 5:00 EST:
Ph=6.8-7.0
Kh=4 degrees
Gh=10 degrees
Fe .2 ppm
No2=0
NH3&4=0
Fe=.2ppm

All tests done with Red Sea kit.
I use 2 65w 10,000 bulbs on 10-11 hrs/day and 2 65w actinics on 4-5hrs/day.
Note: Plants pearl with actinic on, they don't when I leave it off. Ordering 2-6500's soon.

Questions
1. If I let my water changing water sit for 24hrs to remove chlorine how do I lower the Ph to 7.0 or can I ad it as is, I usually do 40-50% changes 1/wk.

2. I have a moderatly heavy planted tank (adding dialy) should I go ahead and turn the second set of lights on all day when the fets get here

3. Should I do the Wolfenxxx recommendations for dosing? I'm not nearly as planted as a lot of guys.

4.Green water started again yesterday, not in full force yet but starting. I have been reading alot on this sight about all of this but I'm still not sure what to look for to know what is out of balance. That's why q 2 & 3 were asked?

I fought gw a couple months ago and nearly destroyed by lower light plants with blackouts and chemicals. So I would rather balance things out and wait than destroy my plants. If I'm right gw is just ugly and not destructive. Any recommendations

Jeremy

55 gal., DIY stand, hood, rex reactor, & bubble counter, XP2, Coralife 65 X 4 w/remote ballast, flourite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have been doing more reading which lead me to barrreport.com. I read some posts here and there and am going to try the EI method. I think this will take care of most of my problems.

Has anyone went to the EI method of dosing while they had gw? If so what happened?

I will post results.

Jeremy

55 gal., DIY stand, hood, rex reactor, & bubble counter, XP2, Coralife 65 X 4 w/remote ballast, flourite
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 06:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Hey Jeremy,

Is you're C02 DIY or Pressurized? if it is DIY, it will be your downfall running 4x65, I would not recommend it, it will only cause you grief.

Quote:
Questions
1. If I let my water changing water sit for 24hrs to remove chlorine how do I lower the Ph to 7.0 or can I ad it as is, I usually do 40-50% changes 1/wk.

2. I have a moderatly heavy planted tank (adding dialy) should I go ahead and turn the second set of lights on all day when the fets get here

3. Should I do the Wolfenxxx recommendations for dosing? I'm not nearly as planted as a lot of guys.

4.Green water started again yesterday, not in full force yet but starting. I have been reading alot on this sight about all of this but I'm still not sure what to look for to know what is out of balance. That's why q 2 & 3 were asked?

I fought gw a couple months ago and nearly destroyed by lower light plants with blackouts and chemicals. So I would rather balance things out and wait than destroy my plants. If I'm right gw is just ugly and not destructive. Any recommendations
1. Add it as is, your water params look good, straight from the tap to the tank, add dechlore, you will be fine...

2. No, wait till you have the tank running good and clean, plenty of plants, ferts, C02 optimized, you need more plants.

3. Yep, follow the regime in the sticky, if you follow that, you will not be limiting any nutrient, the tricky part, is for "you" to learn the C02/light relationship.. very important, to much light, not enough C02=algae, Everytime! even if you have KN03, P04 in abundance.

4. Green water can be a biatch if you do not have access to a UV or Diatom filter...

I induced greenwater on my 46g a month or so ago, just because I could, I do have a UV and a Diatom Filter, I plumbed up the UV turned it on, changed about 80% water then ran the Diatom, tank was pristine the next day, been that way since, easy to rid if you have the tools, but if not, keep feeding the plant's and be patient.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Craig

Thank-you for the response. I want to first say that your sticky is great and have read it atleast 3x's. Your replies in other posts seem very sincere and on track as well (not that I would know if they wrong lol).

I thought that I was ready for the challenge when I added CO2 to my system, but I just cannot retain all of the information that I have read until I dive in feet first and do it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenxxx
Is you're C02 DIY or Pressurized?
I am pressurized @ 1bps, and I turn the CO2 on with the main lights.

I may purchase a uv sterilizer just to stop the gw nightmares until I get a grip on my system (including a better understanding). This hobby just got alot more expensive when I went pressurized, however it's still pennies compared to previous hobbies that I have given up since children entered the picture.

I just put some hornwort in my tank Saturday and I have some Elatine trianda on the way (thanks to eds ). I may buy somemore cabomba tomorrow since it is growing so well in my tank now.

I have also started reading TB's article on the EI method.

Jeremy

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update

I accidentally beat gw (for now). By this I mean that I increased my CO2 from 1 to 1.5 bps three days age. I did a water change two days ago because it was time and the ET came in so I needed to plant it. Then yesterday my ferts came in so I did the dosage recommendation listed in the sticky for the day of the water change. When I came home today the gw was gone and the plants are pearling like crazy. It's time to get the new Cannon SD400 out this weekend and practice.

I have one question.

My Kh has been 4 degrees since I have been checking it. My Ph has been 6.8 since I started injecting. I increased the bps as listed above but my Ph has remained the same. Should I increase the bubble rate? If not any recommendations to increase absorbtion? I am using a rexreactor 2" by 24" on the outlet of my XP2.

Jeremy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode