Mix Hot and Cold to match tank temp 40 75.47%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
WC Temp?

So do you add water that is cold only or a mixture of hot and cold to match tank temp?

jB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt
On the 50 I add cold water but relatively slowly. On the 10g shrimp tanks I will try to get the temp within about 5 deg either by putting a heater in the bucket or microwaving a quart of water to really hi temps and adding that.

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
For you folks who dont mix it, why dont you? I have read that the water from the hot pipes contains more impurities because of the high heat in the pipes. Do any of you believe this or follow this ideal?

Thanks

jB

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt
Actually, I think the hot water heater will build up mineral deposits and whatever else over time. Having replaced mine recently...I know exactly what it looks like inside my pipes

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 05:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
My python only fits onto my garden hose adapter (all my sinks have that wire-mesh filter and I can't screw the python onto them); so I have no choice.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Cold water, added slowly, not much temperature variances.

Obviously, if you add water quickly, using some of the same temperature would be better. Adding it slowly, fishies don't seem to mind, they pass right through the cool waters underneath the outflow.

I use a garden hose, and it is most convenient to use the back yard faucet to fill the tanks again.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 09:26 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
yeah, water heaters can literally stew impurities. A lot, if not all, cooking appliances tell you to use cold water because of this to avoid mineral deposits, impurities, gunk, etc. My mom analyzed it once, but that was like.... 8 years ago, so I dunno if they've changed it or anything.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
I try to aproximate the tanks temperature as best as possible and fill it as fast as possible. If I try to fill it slowly I can get distracted with something else and forget about it until I hear the water dripping over the edge . Also, I don't have a very good heater on one of my tanks, so cold water takes a pretty long time to heat back up to 80.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul-7
My python only fits onto my garden hose adapter (all my sinks have that wire-mesh filter and I can't screw the python onto them); so I have no choice.
That wire mesh filter is the aerator, and it unscrews from the faucet. I sometimes have to use adjustable pliers to remove it, but I always can. Then, I use an adapter from the hardware store to replace the aerator and to adapt to hose fitting threads. Having done that I only estimate the temperature of the water I add - my finger is accurate to about 5 degrees F. There is very little risk of harmful substances coming from the hot water faucet - that water is drinkable. Most plumbing is now copper, and copper doesn't dissolve in near neutral PH water at any temperature.

Hoppy
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 10:27 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I mix hot and cold, but not quite as warm as the tank's temperature. It's usually 3-4 degrees C cooler after a water change.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 10:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I mix it about the same temp as the tank water, or a little warmer.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I just try and warm the water up a bit as the water from the faucet right now is running about 45.

If you think about it there are not going to be impurities in the hot water. Unless you have something injecting them into the hot water. What goes into the hot water tank is cold water.

Sure because of the nature of water if you have hard water then the hot water heater and pipe will have deposits of your hard water.

But here in Portland we have a different problem. Our hot water heaters rust out. We have no hardness in the water and even the high end ones rust out. Same for the heating elements in the electric ones.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 02:59 AM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
I use 100% ro water. When changing the water in my discus tank, I put heaters in three 5 gallon jugs to heat the water. Since I use 30 gallons, if I do not preheat the water it drops the tank temp up to 10 degrees (from 86 to 76) which was stressing the discus. On my other tanks, I just pour the ro water in. Hopefully, I'll have a dedicated ro system hooked up to a 55 gallon drum that is heated soon.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Since I have a 50G prep tank for my WC, of course I use cold with an Eheim 300 watt heater and the temps are within a degree or so. Have to do this to bring my acid water up to pH 6.6 and to add a little stuff for GH/KH. But cold out of my tap is probably in the low 40s degree f. in the winter, so who would do that to a tropical fish? I think having a prep tank, after having experience with not having one, is the only way to go... if space allows. I use strong pumps with a shower head to dump it into the tank and the fish dig that.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 03:56 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
The whole concern about impurities from hot water is probably overstated. At high temperatures there is a tendency for minute quantities of lead (from the solder) and copper (from the pipes) to dissolve into the water. By far, the greatest concentration of toxins would be present in hot water that was allowed to sit in contact with the pipes for an extended period of time. If you let the hot water run for a few seconds you'll be getting water with lower levels of 'stuff'.

That said, I always use a mix of hot/cold to get what I want. You can actually get amazingly close (within a degree or two F) just by feeling the water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode