Ph and dolomite question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ph and dolomite question

My tap water has a high ph of about 8.2 and a fairly high KH as well (20ish degrees). The gh is very low though (1-2 degrees i believe). Ill need to test again to get exact readings on those, but i know theyre in that ballpark. I am making mineralized topsoil and was never able to locate dolomite. I was going to use crushed coral and Epsom salt instead as my base layer, but isn't the primary purpose just to help prevent the soil from dropping ph too drastically? My water has pretty high ph and is well buffered so is it even necessary that I use the crushed coral or can I forgo that entirely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi bpb,

Coral is composed of calcium carbonate, so as it decomposes adding calcium to the water and raising our dGH it is also adding carbonate to the water (and raising the PH/dKH).

What I add depends upon what I want to accomplish. If I want to raise my dGH in a tank I typically add Seachem Equilibrium. Why? Because it increases my dGH by adding calcium and magnesium in the 4:1 ratio that plants seem to prefer and doesn't add carbonates that effect my dKH/PH. If I want to increase my PH/dKH I add baking soda/bicarbonate of soda/NaHCO3 to the water. That way I add the carbonates and increase the PH/dKH but minimize the effect on my dGH.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
bpb
Wannabe Guru

Double checked our tap water official report. We have odd water. 22 dKh, but 1dGh. It's the bicarbonate in our water that does it. How much/often should I add equilibrium if I wanted to boost the gh some? I've gotta order some more reef salt soon so I figure I'll toss in a bottle of equilibrium with the order

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi bpb,

Seachem has an excellent calculator to help you determine the amount of Equilibrium to add based on gallons volume and the amount you want to raise your dGH.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 06:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
My tap water has a high ph of about 8.2 and a fairly high KH as well (20ish degrees). The gh is very low though (1-2 degrees i believe). Ill need to test again to get exact readings on those, but i know theyre in that ballpark. I am making mineralized topsoil and was never able to locate dolomite. I was going to use crushed coral and Epsom salt instead as my base layer, but isn't the primary purpose just to help prevent the soil from dropping ph too drastically? My water has pretty high ph and is well buffered so is it even necessary that I use the crushed coral or can I forgo that entirely?

I'm not certain on this, but I think one of the reasons that dolomite is recomended is because it is sorta a mix of calcium and magnesium carbonate - calcium is pretty easy to come by, but sometimes sourcing magnesium can be a bit more difficult. I think using dolomite (as opposed to aragonite, etc.) as a mineral source is one way to try and avoid magnesium deficiencies.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
You can get dolomite powder from The Vitamin Shoppe.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The big advantage of dolomite is that it dissolves very slowly in the water, compared to calcium carbonate. That lets you slowly increase the hardness of the water instead of it suddenly going up, and it includes magnesium too. You can even use dolomite gravel as a substrate, it dissolves so slowly.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode